• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

CR Speedi-Sleve

Country flag
Awhile ago there was a discussion about the CR Speedi-Sleeves oil seal system. (Fits on warn shafts to get a tighter seal in the timing chain cover.) Has anyone tried it and does it work? Is it hard to do and can it be done with the engine in place? I'm tired of people thinking I have a cat when I but litter to absorb the oil drops.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks, Dave. I've seen their site and talked to them(the gal there had no clue about anything). But I wanted a consumers input as to how hard it would be and how well it works. It sounds to cheap to be good. You know, "If it sound too to be true...."
Rich

piman

Darth Vader
Hello TH,
These types of sleeve are a common industrial repair so are effective.
Sometimes, although probably not on a timing cover,there is room to install the oil seal further in or out so that the lip runs on an unworn portion of the shaft.

Alec
thirsty.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
I run an aluminum crank pulley on my Spitfire race engines, so the speedi-sleeves are pretty much a necessity. I've used them for years in many applications, and have never once had a problem. If you can get the crank pulley off with the engine in the car, they are a piece of cake to install. Many times you may have to undo the motor mounts and raise the front of the engine to do it, but it's still no big deal. They also have them for pinion yokes, and rear tranny seals. I have had some luck with shimming a timing cover seal to allow it to ride further back on the crank snout, on an unblemished area. Usually it only takes about .060 of shim to do the trick, provided you dont foul anything with the seal.
Jeff

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited by: Bugeye58 ]</p>