• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clip question with pic

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello!

For health reasons I haven't worked on my BJ7 for many months. I must have ordered the clips in the pic during a hazy moment because I don't recall where they go. I've looked for the invoice but can't seem to match things up. There are six of each, and have different screws. Does anyone recognize them?

Attachments

• 29074.jpg
    29074.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 333
Country flag
They look like (either/both) fuel pipe or wiring harness straps to me. Sheetmetal screws to the chassis underneath the car, and some of the ones in the engine compartment use threaded inserts.

OP
R

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Randy,

I think that we've identified p clips for the frame rails;gas and brake pipes, battery cable, and wiring harness. We've found some clips that are v shaped where the lower part of the v passes through the metal and the brake line passes through and is held by the top of the v. I don't like those as they allow moisture to pass through, into the frame for instance. I should also mention that I have a Jule frame so that we've been using pics of other cars to identify the locations for the p clips. It could be that the straps in the pic could be used in place of the v clips?

I don't have any good pics of the top of the fire wall where the clutch line (I think) passes, or pics of under the dash where the wiring may be mounted. Are there clips or straps in those places?

Thanks for you assist!
Dale

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
There never was a strap used on a Healey. If by strap you mean plastic ties. Use the metal clips. In certain places I used the rubber sleeved type to prevent electrical shorts. Their were some metal straps from the factory, just about 1/2" wide by varying thicknesses that were spot welded in to hold the wiring harness in place under the dash. Also in the trunk you'll find some. On these I used shrink wrap to completely insulate the bendable strap.

Good luck with your restoration.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
RestoreThemAll said:
Hi Randy,

I think that we've identified p clips for the frame rails;gas and brake pipes, battery cable, and wiring harness. We've found some clips that are v shaped where the lower part of the v passes through the metal and the brake line passes through and is held by the top of the v. I don't like those as they allow moisture to pass through, into the frame for instance. I should also mention that I have a Jule frame so that we've been using pics of other cars to identify the locations for the p clips. It could be that the straps in the pic could be used in place of the v clips?

I don't have any good pics of the top of the fire wall where the clutch line (I think) passes, or pics of under the dash where the wiring may be mounted. Are there clips or straps in those places?

Thanks for you assist!
Dale
There's "V" clips for the clutch line on tp of the firewall. I have a Jule frame too and instead of the original Brake, Fuel and Wiring Harness P-clips I used aircraft style clamps shown in the photos. I left the "V" clips for the clutch line where it routes near the top of the shroud "original" for now.

Attachments

• 29080.jpg
    29080.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 29081.jpg
    29081.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 259
OP
R

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Johnny. When I mentioned straps I was refering to the clamps or clips in the above pic. After reading your post I looked for and found all of the straps that you listed. I really like the shrink wrap idea. I'll do the same.

Hello Patrick.
It's always good to hear from another Jule frame owner. I'll use the p clips, and bobby pin clips "V" as you have. You see I've learned a new term today. The clips that I called v are bobby pin clips. We're also using the nut serts in the Jule frame to hold the p clips.(thank you Randy Forbes for turning me on to nut serts a couple of years ago).

Here's some good news...my son is home for a visit and has me working on the car again! He lives in florida and has been restoring 1950's and 60's Corvettes with his buddies for the last few years.

Thanks all for your input.

Dale

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
RestoreThemAll said:
Thanks Johnny. When I mentioned straps I was refering to the clamps or clips in the above pic. After reading your post I looked for and found all of the straps that you listed. I really like the shrink wrap idea. I'll do the same.

Hello Patrick.
It's always good to hear from another Jule frame owner. I'll use the p clips, and bobby pin clips "V" as you have. You see I've learned a new term today. The clips that I called v are bobby pin clips. We're also using the nut serts in the Jule frame to hold the p clips.(thank you Randy Forbes for turning me on to nut serts a couple of years ago).

Here's some good news...my son is home for a visit and has me working on the car again! He lives in florida and has been restoring 1950's and 60's Corvettes with his buddies for the last few years.

Thanks all for your input.

Dale
Hi Dale,
I drilled holes in my frame and tapped them for 10-32 screws. I decided on 10-32's because that's what most of the screws are in a Healey. I did make a change to the brake line mounting on top of the front cross-member in front of the engine. Instead of 4 holes as original, I used two holes(pics attached). It was easier for me to just drill and tap instead of nut-inserts and I like "simple" and good looks.

I also used a really simple way to attach the insulation panels to the sheet metal too and make them look "original".

Attachments

• 29082.jpg
    29082.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 29083.jpg
    29083.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 234
OP
R

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Patrick,

I'll use your idea on the cross member. Much better than the bobby pin clips.

I'm not clear on insulation panels. Are you saying that you use the same method as the cross member, tap and thread?

Thanks, Dale

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
RestoreThemAll said:
Hi Patrick,

I'll use your idea on the cross member. Much better than the bobby pin clips.

I'm not clear on insulation panels. Are you saying that you use the same method as the cross member, tap and thread?

Thanks, Dale
Here's a link to my article on John Simms website that will explain what and how I did it. The hole I drilled was a real tight fit for the T-nuts and I actually had to use a hammer and tap them in. Let me know if you need more info?

https://www.healey6.com/Technical/Captive.pdf

OP
R

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the link Patrick. I understand now. Great idea!
Dale