• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cars for future appreciation

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Another way to look at this is "what should I have kept". My father & I had a boatload of cars back in the 50's & 60's that are considered "classics" today. Only 2 of the British cars would have been really good investments had we saved them - both racing cars with decent provenance - whereas all of the Italian & German cars would have been worth keeping. (E.g. a BMW 507 we bought at auction for $1300).

If I wanted to invest $25K today on a British vehicle that I think will appreciate I'd look at motorcycles. High-end bikes like Vincents are way over that price but I think some BSA's and later Nortons might be had.

Just looking at the investment aspect, not the "fun factor"...

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Ford and Corvair. I had a 1952 Ford in college.It had dual mufflers and a Pontiac grille bar. Traded it even-up for a 1951 MG TD at Pletcher Ford in Philly in my junior year - 1954.
Corvair convertible. Bought a 1963 in Ossining, NY for $1,000.00, Towed it home on the end of a rope, spent about $1,400.00 getting it running and new tires,, kept it for about 3 years. The floor pan was badly rusted and rather than restore it, I sold it to a guy in DC for $2,500.00. It also had a power top. That Corsa convertible looks great. Those later series cars were much better than the earlier series but they still leaked oil and the heaters were crap unless you installed a Cadillac blower motor. 140 horse with 4 carbs in the standard Corsa and 180 with factory turbo. I think those cars will appreciate, maybe sharply. They are fun to drive with 4-speeds. Powerglide was terrible.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Spoke to son today. He picked up his Alfa from the shop. Needed a new alternator - $250.00. Mechanic told him he made a great buy as the car had not been run much and needed a tuneup, fluid changes and a good workout. It was solid underneath with no rust. I can't wait to drive it when I go down to Florida. They have an active owners club down there and I advised him to join.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Even though I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole, the high end Camaro (are they still called Z28s?) and the Dodge Challenger SRT8 would be cars that I would purchase as an investment -- clearly not new because the sticker prices are well over the 25k threshold. We've seen that American Muscle almost always appreciates in value, and there is always going to be a demand for it. -- look at the prices Buick Grand Nationals are fetching today, and then look at where 60s muscle cars are at now.

Honda s800 and Datsun 1600-2000 roadsters appear to be priced less than $25000 in great condition. Not sure if they were mentioned.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I liked those Datsuns when they came out.
Not many change hands. A gal down in Venice, FL has a nice one. I was talking to her last year. Some of them have the same engine as my 1969 Datsun 510 I believe. Last car I autocrossed in. A poor man's BMW 2002 but it rusted out at 45,000 miles and I traded it for a new VW Rabbit - one of 2 I had. One good German Rabbit (wrecked by my daughter aged 17) and one Westmoreland, PA Rabbit (piece of junk - constant source of trouble and finally abandoned when an intermediate shaft broke in the middle of Bridgeport, CT.)