• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

California Plates

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I keep my plates, car and registration for right after the frontal lobotomy when I would feel comfortable with moving back to Mexifornia.

Funny, even 50 years ago we called it Northern Mexico.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
One cannot buy and use plates that were not originally issued by the state.
You left out the word "legally". There are folks around who will make reproduction plates in your choice of pattern, number etc. Not legal, strictly speaking, but if no one can tell the difference ...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have a set of brand new,never installed set of the Black/Gold plates.
They're legal to use on a car that would have come with them.
Now that we're moving,I might be selling them,as I can't use them.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
When my '84 Audi Quattro was stolen at a gas stop in Orange, CT, my PXP initial plate that I had since age 17 went with it. So - I fabricated a PXP plate and stuck it on the rear of the car. In over 5 months, I never got caught. A client told me he saw my real PXP plate on a car at Jimmy's restaurant in West Haven. At any rate, the car was recovered by the New Haven police. It was used for drug running. Seems they steal a car, usually change the plate to one stolen from another vehicle, and use it until caught. Reason? The police confiscate any car, plane or boat used by a druggie. Even take the house drugs are sold in, even if it's owned by a grandmother whose grandson lives there and gets mixed up with drugs. Another example of the law of unintended consequences. They even left pictures of the thief's family in the car but the police were not interested. They had better things to do, like stopping "speeders" doing 35 mph in a 25 mph zone.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - the whole issue of asset forfeiture is gaining more and more recognition. I'd never heard of it until I joined Institute for Justice several years ago.

Taking stolen - but legal - goods and returning to the owner makes sense to me. But taking non-stolen goods and keeping them to enhance public coffers scares me. Growing awareness of this, thank heaven.

https://ij.org/issues/private-property/civil-forfeiture/

TM

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Civil forfeiture is a big deal and honestly shouldn't be legal. I'm sorry that you had to go through that Paul, but sadly it is a pretty common thing in many states.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There's an ongoing investigation here.Seems that the DA's office was selling
items from deceased people's estates to County employees,at really cheap prices.
It'll be really interesting to see if anyone pays for these crimes.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
In Oklahoma, vanity plates are State DMV issued and registered to the car same as the regular plate, it took 9 months for me to get mine, really 9 months! I have to keep the regular plate in the car in case of a DMV check. PJ

View attachment 50605

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wow! At that sellers prices,they should be solid gold!