• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Butter Fingers

G

Whilst snugging new manifold studs into the side of my head with a pair of jamb nuts, I loosened the grip of the nuts and mindlessly backed each off the newly seated studs. The first one slipped from my fingers and dropped....down into my header. (Now, my headers are mounted to long flex pipes so I have wiggle room to move them out of the way.) Now I have to go below and loosen the joint (band clamp) and remove the darn header.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Maddening how little hardware bits have a knack for diving into the deep, dark places you can't get to, ain't it? :madder:

Must be one of those laws of the universe you can't get around... :wall:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
71tr said:
Let it be, might make for an interesting exhaust tune.

:lol:

Or jingle...

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Ensign Pulver: "What does that look like? Five marbles. Got another one in my pocket. Six marbles. I'm looking for marbles all day long!"

Country flag
Any chance of getting one of those flexible "snakes" with a magnet on the end and sending it down the same path as the nut? Might save you a bunch of time?? Just an idea....

OP
G

Thanks, Peter, just did that. Dropped a magnet on a string down the pipe (stainless didn't grab the magnet) and got her right out! I was one step ahead of ya!

Weirdly, the flange on the stainless headers is also stainless but highly magnetic. Must be 2 different alloys, all stainless welded.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill,

The more that you work harden stainless steel, the more magnetic it becomes. If that flange was made from a strip that was intentionally hardened to make it true and flat, that could be the case.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Yea! Technology wins again! Way to go Bill!

Tinkerman

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Got this one in the back of my head:

Me and a buddy are pulling my engine. We dropped
a bolt that to this day has never, ever showed up.

I'm suspect it dropped right down into the caverns
of the exhaust pipe. Still thinking about it.
Magnet would stick like the dickens to my pipe.

Still a part of the ongoing saga.....

(Theme song to this reply: Shake, rattle and roll, the King.)