• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bread.

Country flag
Not even just organic chemistry, just a basic introduction would teach the individual symbols and basic elements/compounds. Had my only chemistry in high school years ago and knew what the two together meant.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Update.

Sliced bread is still squishy and mold free.

Going on 2 months now out on the counter. Science project now. Will the bread outlast me.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

We've got a couple hamburger buns sitting in the bread basket that are about the same "age." No mold so far. I keep forgetting they're there on garbage pick-up days.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Another update.

Still looking just like it did when it came home from the store. Squishy and smells like it did back in December. I was going to say smells OK but I do not like the smell of that kind of bread.

David

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
David, that is terrifying.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Bought some freshly baked sourdough bread from a store in Sarasota. Made sandwiches and put the rest into the freezer. Bread and most baked goods in Florida are terrible when you've been used to fresh bread from Cerbone's Bakery and the few other bakers still in business in the NY Metro area. Most have gone out of business because the kids don't want to get up at 4 am to start baking and the owners who retired have just given up the business.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That is why I started to bake my own bread. The only way to get bread worth eating. Home made Pita in the background.

David

Bread.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Dammm... I can almost smell that!

Paul said:
Most have gone out of business because the kids don't want to get up at 4 am to start baking and the owners who retired have just given up the business.

Yep! But a doughnut shop in a resort town on the Lake Erie shore east of Cleveland is an exception. Younger bro worked there as a summer job back in the '60's. "Pappy" would not allow the crew to know the dough recipe, he'd prep it before they got to work at 4AM!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - if you lived within five miles of me, I'd be at your door every morning. Wow - does that look good. I envy you having time to do that!
Tom M.

That is why I started to bake my own bread. The only way to get bread worth eating. Home made Pita in the background.

David

View attachment 58071

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
David that is some fine looking bread!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
That is some great looking bread. The story in my family goes something like this. If Grandma didn't serve bread with supper he would ask "did the baker die?".

I love bread, but am too busy or lazy to cook it for myself. Seems like a lot of it, even the bakery fresh stuff in the grocery store, is being made cheaper (tastes like flour, water, and something to make it rise, soft, but no density or flavor) to keep prices from getting even more crazy than they already are. I feel the same way about pizza, but that is a topic for another day.

A nice compromise if you don't have time to make your own bread is the Pillsbury popping fresh loaf. A little butter and garlic on top makes for a very tasty bread.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My main bread recipe is from a book called "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day. Very simple and it truly does take 5 minutes of work time. No kneading and resting. It has Flour, water, salt and yeast. Great taste and texture but I have noticed that different flour suppliers have a different taste/texture.

David

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Question David:
Does the type of oven that you cook the bread in make a difference?
I know you built the wood fired brick oven that you cook the bread in... would you get similar results in a regular oven?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mum-in-law is a German baker. She INSISTS on a particular flour for her baked goods.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Elliot

The brick oven does seem to produce a crisper crust but most of the time I cook it in a regular oven on a Pizza stone. I have a pan in the oven and I add some water when I put the bread in to bake. It adds steam which is meant to help the crust develop.
Apart from the crust crispiness the bread cooks just the same. Often a little faster in the brick oven as the temperature control is not an option. You just wait till it seems right.
Pita is a brick oven only for me now.

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Best bread I ever ate and my wife will agree, was cooked in an adobe oven in Arizona by native Americans! 12" round loafs about 5 inches thick! An annual tribal gathering. :encouragement: PJ