• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin Healey body production windscreen card

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello everyone,
Its been a long time since I have visited this forum and just wanted to say hello to many of the great people I have met on this forum in the past.

A very interesting thing happened to me last week, I posted my 1967 BJ8 on eBay a few weeks ago and to my surprise the gentleman who I bought my Healey from back in 2007 happen to see it posted and asked me to call him. To my surprise, he told me he still had the original "Body production windscreen card" and the original handbook that came with the car when new. My question is, has anyone in this forum ever seen a Orginal body production windscreen card before? This is not a heritage certificate most people send for...it is the actual Orginal "body production windscreen card with special notes written by the factory worker. I also have all the shipping papers as well.

He was kind enough to drop off the Orginal documents and take a look at my Healey, which originally belonged to his father. To be honest, it was a little emotional and brought back some special memories for him I am sure. I also had a chance to ask him the history of the car and told me he was only 14 years old when his father bought it. Thank you everyone.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Something like this ?

attachment.php

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Actually no...mine is much different and is a factory production windscreen card made of light cardboard with factory workers notes for special orders and printing on both sides. The factory worker special notes are hand written in red ink.

In my case, they installed factory locking gas cap which matches the ignition key, and they had to make changes to the turn signal lens because originally my particular Healey was a USA export car destined for Chicago. however, by special request it was diverted to Spain by the original owner because he worked for U.S steel in Spain. So, the factory installed euro turn lenses on a made for U.S import Healey..yours seems to be a dealer window sticker. I will post a picture later tonight! Thanks for sharing your rare document, Very nice!

Last edited:

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
There are a few windscreen cards that got away (left the factory with the car). I've seen/heard of several examples.

If you visit the Heritage Motor Centre and arrange to view the microfilm record of your car's windscreen card (or any car's), you occasionally see such things as extra handwritten notes that do not show up on the certificates sold by the Centre. It's worth a visit if you're in the area of Gaydon (UK).

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Thank you for the information Reid, if I ever venture across the pond I will definitely make a visit to the Heritage center. Should be very interesting! My card has text, stamping and hand written notes on both sides so it can be seen from the outside and inside of the car at the factory. Anyway, I will post it later. Thank you.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thank you for the information Reid, if I ever venture across the pond I will definitely make a visit to the Heritage center. Should be very interesting! My card has text, stamping and hand written notes on both sides so it can be seen from the outside and inside of the car at the factory. Anyway, I will post it later. Thank you.

I love seeing this stuff from when the cars were new. It really brings into focus the hand-built nature of the cars.

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I totally agree Rick, I always felt our old British sport cars have there own soul and personality which reflects the factory workers who actually put them together, no two cars seem to be the same. I actually have the factory yellow chalk Mark "67" hand written on the left inner wheel well next to the spare tire under the mat. Just wish my door gaps where better fitted...it may have been a post pub work day! :hammer::hammer:

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I recently saw a production card in an online auction for a BJ8. The Chassis Number was 35XX1 - any chance this is/was your vehicle?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I totally agree Rick, I always felt our old British sport cars have there own soul and personality which reflects the factory workers who actually put them together, no two cars seem to be the same. I actually have the factory yellow chalk Mark "67" hand written on the left inner wheel well next to the spare tire under the mat. Just wish my door gaps where better fitted...it may have been a post pub work day! :hammer::hammer:

Those chalk/crayon marks really connect us to the guys on the assembly line. My Bugeye still has the original chassis number and options written in yellow crayon on the back of the dashboard. I own a 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 and we tried to get the assembly workers on the line to autograph these cars. It worked for a while until Chrysler shut it down. Too bad, it was pretty cool.

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
No, my production card is original to my particular Healey, All the body numbers and details match my BJ8 in every detail. It's not something you can buy as a reproduction because it is the genuine article. It was given to me along with all the Spanish shipping papers and hand book from 1968 which had all my body/ chassis numbers/motor numbers in each Original document with the owners name who bought it New off the line and deverted it to Spain. The factory worker had to hand right special notes in red ink because my car was built for U.S export, so he had to write instructions on this card to change the turn signal lenses to the euro spec types and install a factory locking gas cap which shares the ignition key. The sister car built on the assembly line which is a exact duplicate of my car "minus the last minute euro changes" proceeded to its intended destination in Chicago and now is in California with its long time owner. I have a picture of both him and my sister car as well

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
attachment.php
Hello Reid, A pic of the production windscreen card, tried post both sides but can only send one pic at a time it seems.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 114

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The images of both sides showed up in your post (click on the thumbnails at the bottom of it).

That's a wonderful collection of original documentation you have there - cherish it! (I do, and I don't even own the car!)

RT

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
attachment.php

This is the card I referenced in my prior post - pretty cool stuff!! Thanks for sharing your documentation.

Attachments

• 35671 Windscreen Card_b.jpg
    35671 Windscreen Card_b.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 162
OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Interesting, looks like the BJ8 on that card you posted was built not too far down the assembly line from my car. Maybe someone in the BJ8 registry owns the Healey to match that production card? It's a shame it's not with the car!

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Thank you Reid, I actually have even more documents i did not post. I also have all the original factory accessorys that came with my BJ8 including all the vinyl pouches,tool bags, Shelly jack, Tommy bar, carb jet tool, tonneau and boot and battery cover. Also, a period 8 track tap player with Barbra Streisand tape 'The way we where" mounted deep under the dash. A old Vietnam period backpack still in the boot and old golf tees and a photo of the owner in the glove box. This Particular Healey is like a historic time capsule. I had a nice conversation with his son who was only 14 years old when his father bought the car, he said his father always drove with the top UP! He liked the sports car feel but did not like the convertable concept! Lol. As you may guess, the original interior, wood dash, dash pad and gauges are like new because they where not exposed to the sun. Sorry to get a little long winded, just thought you may be interested. Thank you Reid.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
That is so cool, love the history and original documentation that goes with these cars (if you are lucky) , nice find for sure.

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Thank you Gelmon, yes finding a unmolested Healey with history and so much documentation is very Special indeed! I loved having a meeting with the owners son, he was 14 years old when his father bought this Healey and he told me the day I bought it from his estate and left with it...he broke down and got very emotional, so he was very happy to see it again after 8 years and thanked me for being a good care taker of his fathers Healey. I asked him to get behind the wheel so I could take some photos on his cell phone, Boy....if you seen the big smile and emotion! To be honest, I got a little emotional too. These British vintage cars are so special and each has a soul and personality.