• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin healey BJ8 - convertible top alignment

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Several years ago I purchased a BJ8, and have been slowly trying to correct the sins of past owners. One of the issues is the fit of the convertible top. I noticed that the top seems to fit at a bit of an angle where the top bow meets the windshield, and as a result, the door windows on one side of the car fit further back on the door seals. Is there any way to re-align this, perhaps where the convertible frame bolts onto the body behind each door? The convertible frame doesn't appear to be bent or distorted.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi David,
Welcome to the forum. Yeah, sounds like you're one the right track. There are 3 bolts there, and there may or may not be shims. One question though: how are the hinge points in the convertible frame. Is anything loose or bent?

OP
davidb

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the reply Greg - the hinge points on the frame seem to be OK, with no obvious bends or distortion. Based on your photo, there doesn't appear to be an adjustment for horizontal (front to back) alignment, altho I can see the shims for vertical adjustment. I may have to drill new points in the mounting flange (or re-weld the mounting flange further back)to allow for some front to back movement. I have found that there's a lot more upkeep to the BJ8 than my earlier BT7 roadster, because of the "upgraded" features such as convertible top, wind up windows, vent windows, brake servos, etc., etc. It's too bad these cars are so darn good looking...
Regards
Dave

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Dave there is indeed a lot of tweaking involved with BJ8s. Even though all of the alignment issues were right when they were delivered from the factory, somehow the tops never seem to go back on the way they were intended.

At some point in my BJ8s history she was in a rear ender. The force of the collision bent the mounting brackets just enough that no matter what I tried I could not get the top to sit properly without looking higher on one side than the other. The ultimate fix was to remove and then re-weld the mounting points higher up. That took care of the straightness issue but I still have a driver's window that sits too far away from the top's rubber seal. I think that can be fixed with a combination of shims in the window mechanism and others in the top frame mounting points. Ughh, it's endless!
Randy

andybj8

Jedi Hopeful
When my inner rear wings were replaced the hood mountings had to be re welded in position, they were tacked and then the windshield and hood frame were both put back in position to check, both the windshield and hood frame both had factory packers / shims under which would alter the height and angles.
My hood mounts only had one shim across the front, unlike Gregs which has one front and back.
Andy

OP
davidb

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My thanks to both Randy Harris and Andy BJ8, and Greg W earlier, for taking the time to provide me with their expertise/experience. While I'm still going to have to up my medication in putting this beast somewhat back to spec, it's nice to know that I'm not alone. Note to self - next time buy a Miata.
Regards
Dave

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Andy

I have yet to weld my hood support brackets on my BJ7, how did you figure out where your brackets go, did you have measurements ? copy the old ones ? or offer up the hood and shift them back and fourth until approx fit ?

Rob

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Rob,
I took these measurements years ago before I tore down my BJ8. They should apply to the 7 also. For the 20½", see the second photo for where I measured from. Welding magnets can help hold the bracket in place once you've got the ragtop attached to the bracket and installed to the windscreen.

andybj8

Jedi Hopeful
Chicken
The easiest way is to make a cardboard template from the old location, Gregs measurements and any you take help verify, but the old old cardboard template never fails (and they bend, while rulers dont!). All of my other positions were spot on as we used a cellette body jig for the healey, but they dont have any references for the convertible points.
Tack them in position, and as earlier trial fit the hood frame and windshield, then you will not regret it later!!!
Andy