• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

At the beginning ... 1960

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, the link I used was not quite identical to the one Tom used. Same host name, but some differences in the rest of the URL. I don't claim to understand the difference, but my browser refused to display his link even directly (as opposed to part of a BCF post). But I could see it by downloading the file to my hard drive, so I used Google to find a different link. The one I used would display directly for me.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Randall. It may be that some url's have coding for specific geo areas. I know there are BBC, NZZ, etc. links for some of their stories, videos, and photos which result in "Not available in your area" when I try to reach them.

FWIW, the link I used was not quite identical to the one Tom used. Same host name, but some differences in the rest of the URL. I don't claim to understand the difference, but my browser refused to display his link even directly (as opposed to part of a BCF post). But I could see it by downloading the file to my hard drive, so I used Google to find a different link. The one I used would display directly for me.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Tom, one thing to keep in mind is that the URL you use when you are posting a picture using the

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Good reminder, Basil. I think lots of folks have tried that over the years. If I choose the BCF "photo" icon, and enter an address that doesn't end in jpg, tif, etc., BCF warns with "Invalid File" and won't accept the address. That's a built in safety feature you have.

But that doesn't help when someone tries to post a photo manually, using the "img" tags, which I think some people still do.

Interesting indeed that some people could see my posted (linked) image, and some couldn't.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Tom would you mind posting the URL you were using but surround the URL with
Code:
 code tags

If you go to "Advanced" editor you will see the icon for the code tags Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 9.50.47 AM.jpeg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'm afraid that when I deleted the link in post #1 and uploaded the image itself, I don't remember the original url. Maybe Randall can do that, as he posted the same image I did.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Also, if you look at the page source text, the photo is posted as an attachment, not a linked image from another website. (There's no URL for the image.)

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
As a true believer Pats fan, I had no trouble seeing the picture from the beginning. And now a little story. See the second player from the right on the bottom row? That's Ed "Butch" Songin, the Pats' first QB. When this picture was taken, I was a lad of 10 and my Dad brought me to a Kiwanis club sports banquet and I happily collected Butch's autograph on a paper napkin. The next day I proudly brought it to school and showed it to all my buddies, then secured it in my metal lunchbox with the rockets on the outside. When I went to take it home, I looked inside and some little @#% 5th grader had stolen it. Keep your stuff safe, kiddies. I view all the Patriots success as a reward for my years of loyalty and having my prized autograph ripped off.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The mobile interface doesn't get the BBcode icons, but maybe I can do this right. Oops, that doesn't look right on my phone. So I changed "IMG" to "InG"

Code:
[InG]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/XWRhJcpwcPgcZwLSQ7RjYMR0Z5c=/378x0:2734x1571/920x613/filters:focal(378x0:2734x1571):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46697812/1960-boston-patriots.0.0.jpg[/IMG]

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Pasting Randall's url (without the img tags) into browser address field, I get the photo fine.

Now trying to imbed directly using img tags on this post:

Now trying to add photo url using the post's "photo" icon method:

[/COLOR]
1960-boston-patriots.0.0.jpg

Now trying same as above, but choosing "Retrieve remote file":

Didn't work. File too large.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"But does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bed post over night?" I wound up watching another teacher's class for a few minutes earlier and she had a cup of used gum in her lectern. I asked the kids about it and they said that she sets it on the desk of anyone chewing gum in her class and makes them spit their gum in it. I asked if their chewing gum loses its flavor on the bed post over night. None of them got it.