• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Adviced asked on unscrewing lid brake fluid reservoir

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Good day all,

In an attempt to have the brakes working again on the BN 4. I have removed the brake fluid cannister ( was not possible to unscrew the lid) to have better access to unscrew it. But up to now there is no sign at all that the lid moves.

Are there any suggestions to unscrew it before buying a new cannister and lid

Harry

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'd throw the whole can in a pan of boiling water to loosen things up (make sure the ports on the bottom aren't blocked) Then use a pair of water pump pliers like these:

2801773.jpg

to GENTLY remove the cover. Don't know if you get these flat rubber pieces designed to loosen stuck jar lids:

il_214x170.740794964_biwe.jpg

but if so, it would be good to put that over the brake cap before using the pliers. Don't squeeze the pliers too tightly or you'll distort the cap. Just want to squeeze enough to get a grip on it. Make sure to dry any water out of the reservoir befpre filling with brake fluid.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Put a little Kroil around the threaded lip of the top,let soak a bit and then gently try channel lock pliers.

OP
H

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
@ Healey Rick I had tried it gently with a waterpump

@ Keoke I have put WD 40 around I think it is something to Kroil but Kroil I haven't seen it on the shelves

I will start boiling it in a pan of water as it is right now in a bath of Cola

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wot!

No Kroil that is bad news----:highly_amused:

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I have a couple of cans of Kroil on the shelf--it is popular as a helper in removing rifle barrels from receivers, something requiring special equipment and often difficult with old service (military) rifles. I have adopted the 50/50 acetone and power steering fluid mix extolled in a machinist's publication a few years back and widely reported on car forums. This for those who can't find Kroil on the shelf. I'm not sure how you get it up on the reservoir threads without inverting the container.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Harry Has:

In an attempt to have the brakes working again on the BN 4. I have removed the brake fluid cannister.

Very easy to invert it now.
But Kroil climb right up em threads.---:devilgrin:

Last edited:
OP
H

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Gentleman

Believe it or not but 24 hours in a jar with coca cola and before soaking it l sprayed the lid with WD 40 and this did it. Opening was possible without a waterpump. Don't know if the Coca Cola did its work the WD 40 or a combination of both.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Coca Cola will clean a radiator?
WD 40 don't do much of anything for me----- Good for you--:highly_amused: