• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A day at the Spa!

Bret

Yoda
Spent a few hours giving my 78B the whole spa treatment and took some glamour shots. Mainly addressed the tired looking bumpers & neclected interior. Still needs a re-blow of the paint.

211699-Picture006.jpg

More photos here: Bret's 78B

But she cleans up pretty good don't she?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Cheers!

Attachments

• 211699-Picture006.jpg
    211699-Picture006.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 75

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Very nice.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Beautiful! Too bad you guys out there have to hang a license plate off the front bumper.

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad you guys out there have to hang a license plate off the front bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Says who? No front plates on any of my rides! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Bret, looking great! But you better check that leak! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad you guys out there have to hang a license plate off the front bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Says who? No front plates on any of my rides! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Don’t go driving through Santa Barbra. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif Some municipalities ain’t impressed by a classic and will issue a fixit ticket just the same.

But believe me I don’t like the front plate but I figured if I had to do it I’d make it look as best I could. Thus the personalized plates. Originally I was going to have it below the bumper but at speed it actually blocked the oil cooler and I could see the difference on the temp gauge. Anyway two screws and it comes off without any problem and nobody'd know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Bret, looking great! But you better check that leak! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually that spot under the front end was there before I parked there to take the pictures. Truthfully I didn’t even notice it until I was proofing the photos. But not counting the minor fuel line between the filter & the carburetor that I had last week the old gal hasn’t been leaking at all. And yes – I’ve checked the fluid levels and they are just fine.

But thanks for caring Steve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was the only Pagan around here

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hardly Chuck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Actually I drive through Santa Barbara two or three times a month and I've never had a problem. Even when I have to drive through Beverly Hills, who is as strict as they come about plates, I never have a problem. I think they turn a blind eye to classics because in 17 years of driving without a front plate I've never been hassled about it. And worst case, if I were actually ticketed, it's only a fix-it ticket so I can get it written off in 15 minutes, remove the plate again and be on my way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The spot under your car is obviously older, but it's funny how the first thought in my head was "uh oh!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was the only Pagan around here

[/ QUOTE ]
Not hardly Chuck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
And me makes 3................. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Ca. plate thing is something I would get a big kick playing with.

I wonder how many times the same cop would give me a fix-it ticket before he gave up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
well, if he remembered your car you'd only have 1 "fix it ticket" before being cited for improper display of plates....

D

Deleted member 3577

Rats....That sounds like a fine......

OK....How much?

I can do more $2.00 fines than most policemen would have the patience to write /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Fix-it tickets ain’t cheap when you add up the hassle cost of taking time off from work & all the hoops you have to jump through just to take care of the problem.

When I got my ticket for no front plate I think it cost me about $15 or $20 out of my pocket. Had I not already had the plate sitting in my garage I’d of had to take time off from work to go down to the DMV & pay ($$) to get a replacement. Then once I got it mounted I had to have it signed off by a police officer – but luckily my neighbor is a Highway Patrol Officer (CHiP) so that saved me from having to go down to the local cop shop to have it done. But even when I sent in the “signed off” the fix-it ticket I was required to submit a photo of the front of my vehicle with the license plate affixed to it along with a check for the court’s processing fee ($15 I think).

No – one “fix-it ticket” for me was enough as Kalifornia (like anything else) makes the whole process annoyingly disruptive. I suspect that this is some sort of penitently incurred but I’ll ask my neighbor what are the ramifications of repeat offenders.

Steve_S

Yoda
The only fix-it ticket I ever had was for side window tint. I went to the local Highway Patrol and got it written off in ten minutes, then mailed the form in. Took a total of one hour. Definitely worth one hour for 20 years of not having a front plate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Talking about cheap fixit tickets my sister got one for a burnt out tail light. Fixed the light but for some unknown reason never bothered to get it signed off till the fine had gone from 20 dollars to 700 and she had to go to court.

I need to get off my butt the next time I'm home and fab up a front plate bracket so I can mount the front plate without drilling holes in the front of the bumper yet easy to take off if I go to a car show. The town I live next to San Marino is notorious for nailing people for very minor infractions and its only a matter of time before I get nailed for no front plate.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Talking to my CHiPe neighbor a while back – he couldn’t believe that even with him signing off the ticket, I still had to mail a photo of the new front plate affixed to my vehicle.

Anyway he elaborated that each municipality has it’s own set of rules & regulations on the subject. So much so that he didn’t bother to commit them all to memory because they almost always change with the seasons. Perhaps where you got your fixit ticket didn’t have the same guidelines for sign-off as Santa Barbra does (did?) at the time of my ticket. I know some don’t require a processing fee to be paid on a fix-it ticket, but for those that do – say the fee was $20 - how many of those would you be willing to pay each year before you gave up & complied?

By the same token – I still need to find out from my neighbor if fix-it tickets really do truly go away & if there is any limitation on the number of them you can get, before they slap the person with some sort of penalty. Three?.. Four?.. Twenty? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
I'd be interested in that as well.

You know, I have ZERO plates on my Y-Type. It only has the original UK plates. I carry one CA plate in the trunk. Even with the lack of problems I've had in the past I'm still suprised I get away with this one. Heh! I guess they turn a blind eye to such an old, unusual car.

'round here, there's a couple hundred cars driving around with carboard plates, with "Alabama Tag Applied For" handwritten in marker. I've used those plastic used car dealer tags before, to move a car once. Then when I drove the Alfa from Tony's house to mine, no tag at all. But we have a 10 day timespan in which to get tags for a newly acquired car.

D

Deleted member 3577

Pennsylvania is more like Alabama than California.

We have 2 PSP (Pa. state police) cars for the whole county. (at any one time)

I have seen them around but, I don't know anyone who has received a ticket of any kind from them.