• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

$21,000 oil change...

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If I could afford a Bugatti:
Dm-3-GuX0AADZLs.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I flew gliders in England at North Weald airfield someone arrived one day with a Bugatti like that. He did several runs up and down the runway then a very fast run that ended with a bang and some spilled fluid. When we got to the car to see what had happened the owner/driver was staring at the engine with a connecting rod protruding through the block. He looked very unhappy.
It sounded good while it ran,

David

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
At least one Bugatti had a propeller -

View attachment 56230

The Bugatti Type 57 and the Bugatti 100.

Tom,
There is a Bugatti airplane like the one in your pic hanging in the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, WI.
So, how is the front propeller driven? Where is the engine?
The answer is that the engine is in the rear and there is a drive-shaft that goes under the pilots feet that drives the prop!

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom,
There is a Bugatti airplane like the one in your pic hanging in the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, WI.
The answer is that the engine is in the rear and there is a drive-shaft that goes under the pilots feet that drives the prop!
You mean there isn't a long rubber band? :highly_amused:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Almost looks like a drone (given the tight space for any pilot).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - I saw that Bugatti at the EAA museum on my 2013 trip. It's the original aircraft.

https://nutmegflyer.wordpress.com/15-week-two/

Wow - what great memories that brings.

Here's a cutaway showing the 100's innards.

https://oldmachinepress.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/bugatti-110p-general-arrangment.jpg

I think I'd be a tad uncomfortable with the high speed prop shafts from the two engines spinning right next to me. eek

The original never flew, but a full size reproduction did fly a few times in 2015, before crashing and killing the pilot in 2016.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Counter rotating props and forward swept wings, Quite interesting for an aircraft built in 1937! :encouragement: Looks like you had a great memorable trip Tom, very nice! PJ

Knowing the situation in 37, I could pretty much understand why only one was built. :indecisiveness:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
We've been to the Bugatti Museum in Alsace. Our daughter was an exchange student in Strasbourg. He did things his own way for sure. When a customer told him he couldn't get his car started on a cold morning, Ettore told him to invest in a heated garage. There was a guy in Toronto who made replicas of the type 35. I have a picture of me standing next to one. JP - is that guy still in business?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
We've been to the Bugatti Museum in Alsace. Our daughter was an exchange student in Strasbourg. He did things his own way for sure. When a customer told him he couldn't get his car started on a cold morning, Ettore told him to invest in a heated garage. There was a guy in Toronto who made replicas of the type 35. I have a picture of me standing next to one. JP - is that guy still in business?

I wasn't aware of one here in Toronto. So, not sure. I know there are regularly VW Bugatti kit cars for sale locally if that is what you are thinking of.

OTOH this one was made locally, out of magnesium, with 6 zeros behind the build price (they reckoned the owner could double his money instantly) - the chassis and engine are real so it is considered a rebody not a replica. (they paid 4000 euros for the original fan which they tracked down to make it more authentic) - it's amazing!

P1030703.jpg

Country flag
Well, if I was stupid rich....

I still wouldn't be that stupid.

Well, now I know what my challenge is - I'll never be rich because I'll never be stupid! :D LoL

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
J-P, I like all the big windows you have in your garage.

If I had that car, it would be my living room you were admiring not my garage! :smile: