• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1959 Rambler American

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
What can anyone tell me about this car? # produced, engine variations, colors... I saw one recently and I am now curious but just curious. I've got enough projects.

Give me about 30 minutes and I'll give you nearly every concievable piece of info about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've got my sources, and they are on their way home right now (in the back of my wife's car) - hehehehhehee

Steve_S

Yoda
I used to have a '68 (or was it 69) Rambler 440 Wagon. 289 V8 and ugly as heck. Good car though. Don't know anything about the earlier Ramblers though.

1959 Rambler American - 91,491 built (total production for 1959 for all bodystyles of the Rambler American).
Body styles available: Business Sedan 3 Passenger
DeLuxe Wagon 2 door
Super Wagon 2 door
DeLuxe Sedan 2 door
Super Sedan 2 door

Original Price: $1821 (bus sdn 3P) to $2145 (Super wgn 2d)

Engines: Inline L-head-6, 195.6 cubic inch, 90 bhp was standard on the American, and no other engine was optional on the American. Other engines available in the 1959 Rambler lineup were: 127hp I-6(standard on the six), 138hp I-6(optional on the six), 215hp 250cu in v-8(standard on the rebel), 270hp 327 cu in v-8(standard on the ambassador).

Rambler was a company started by Nash (very obvious in body designs), and later became a part of AMC. The American was considered an economical-compact-car, and was one of the country's most affordable cars of the time.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The American was considered an economical-compact-car, and was one of the country's most affordable cars of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would explain why my 'thrifty' ex-pat scot grandfather owned nothing but Ramblers and AMC cars (except for LBC's) until the day he died.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif