• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reasonable shipping charges!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Looking for one of these electrical wire boots and found out O Rileys has them at 69 cents each.View attachment 34405
Rather than run 20 miles to get one, I figured I'd have them send it to me. Well, the part is 69 cents, the tax is $1.03, the shipping is, GET THIS, $10.42!!! :shocked: Makes me want to :pukeface:! And the postal service wonders why they are in bad shape! I'm just wondering how much of the 10.42 goes to DC? I guess it helps us pay for golf trips, island hopping and expensive dresses. Well, I'll drive to the store and pick one up. :disgust: PJ

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The postal service is in bad shape because of pensions.
But that can not be discussed here so I never said it.
I don't think it is the PS charging that much but O'Reilly's

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
If you send that via the USPS, it would cost about a dollar.

That's O'Reilly's putting their thumb on the scale...not the US Postal Service.

The USPS is one of the few US govt. services that generally does not depend on our taxes. Although they have had some help, the USPS is mostly self-funded.

Don is correct: the real financial issue with the USPS is the pension funding and a very complex issue called "pre-funding". But, as Don implies, this topic can get political and is probably not appropriate here.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I'm not so good with money, too bad I don't have a bunch. They drop it on my door step, I'm happy.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
On anywhere, the price is the price plus shipping.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Nial
Didn't want to get into pre funding

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For that price I'm sure it would be UPS shipping, not usps. Many places do not ship usps, or are not setup to do it efficiently. $10.42 sounds like the 1Lb rate at UPS(the minimum).

Country flag
They probably also charge based on average cost to weight too, for example where you might see 0 to $20 shipping would be $7.95, then $20.01 to $40 shipping might be $12.95 and so on where someone has figured the average or high expected weight for the price range. For the little guy, you get hosed, for the guy buying 5 pounds of stuff for 10 bucks, works out ok.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
USPS problems are upper management and the wasteful spending. All equipment that are unit had installed cost 3/4 Million $ per unit and we got 2. Used them for 4 yrs. and sold for scrap for hundreds $ instead of reselling for use elsewhere. The pension thing is the Gov. asking for $ far into the future that no other company has to pay including Gov. itself. Driving 20 mile round trip in 10 MPG vehicle is about $7 for fuel. Then there is vehicle wear and the wages for driver. So you did not want to spend 1/2 driving 20 miles and spend another $7.00 in fuel, plus wear and tear on car, the $10.42 was a deal. You also did not have to be covered by car insurance. You were in service PAL161 you know the waste. Postal pension is no better than military pension, I know personally. I get more pension from my outside union job of 13 yrs. than I get from 20 yrs. USPS.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Paul, I feel your pain. I ordered a rubber bushing for my 7 and was going to be charged $7.00 to ship it. Yeah, I don't think so! I found the part cheaper and shipping lower from England than I did from here in "the states."

Not trying to hijack this thread, but as far as the "Post Office" going broke, it's not pension funds, it's prefunding retirees health benefits that is killing us. No government agency and most corporations do not do this and the ones that do fund it over 50 years or better. The PO was told to fund a $50 billion ( yes, a 5 and 10 zeros) healthcare fund for retirees in 10 years. Every year the PO is forced to pay the Treasury $5 billion (9 zeros) for this fund. There will be enough money in there to fund the benefits for the next 75 years. This covers people who haven't been born yet, much less working at the PO. This money goes to the Treasury and shows up on the national budget. For fear of drawing Basils wrath, I'll leave it at that.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just try ordering anything from the US to be shipped overseas. You will get a new understanding of the word expensive. I have totally given up on ordering from American sites. Interesting buying from the UK is much easier and cheaper and not just for auto parts. Small accessories tools etc.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Maybe I'm missing something again ... you want one wire boot at 69 cents and the tax is $1.03 ???

:confused:

Yup! Crazy isn't it! I'm going to O'Rileys and get a couple today. No mail! PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The whole thing seems weird to me too. If the item was 69 cents, and shipping was $10.42, and tax was $1.03 because the shipping is taxable ... then the tax rate is nearly 10%.

Something's not right here ...

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, the wife went on the net looking up Alternator boots, which is actually what this thing is and found one for $5.95 and get this, shipping was over $15.00!!! Maybe these things are coming from South East Asia in an Oriental Junk! Flown in by Rinky Dink Airlines and delivered by Pony Express! We do live in the sticks you know! :highly_amused: