• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Intro from new member Chuck McB, '66 A-H 3000 owner...with a steering box question!

chuckmcb

Freshman Member
I am "Chuck". Mine is a good ole 1966 Austin healey 3000 that's still plugging along. The kids called the car "Garage Furniture" as we dragged it form place to place over the past 30 years, but finally I have the time to treat it "right" and it's back on the road!

I'm trying to cap a few of the many oil leaks. Have a steady drip from the bottom seal on the steering box. Can one insert a new seal without pulling out the box (and half the car's front end that surrounds it!). Seems like there's enough room to remove just the castellated nut and the steering lever, and pull/replace the seal from under the car? If so, any "hints" would be appreciated!

Thanks, Chuck McB

Attachments

• '66 Austin Healey 3K.jpg
    '66 Austin Healey 3K.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 46

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Chuck - good looking "armchair" you have there! :grin:

We've a strong Healey presence here, so post your questions over on that forum side, and I know you'll get plenty of assistance - some of it even helpful! :jester:

:cheers:
Mickey

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Chuck. Welcome to the forum. I've never tried to do this, so I can't answer your question directly. I do know that in my '62 BT7 you can push the steering box straight out through the grill opening (after removing the grill and steering wheel), which might make it easier. I think there is also steering box oil that is specially formulated to stop leaks, but I have no experience with it.

You might try posting this question to the Austin Healey forum. Lots more people will see it there, and you'll probably get some better answers.

Great looking car!

keith