• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Most Ugly Car Ever?

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
ugly.jpg

pukeface.gif

A

aerog

Yup, it is.

This one is naturally ugly (to me, anyway). They used to show up at some of the local shows "showing them off", although most people just shook their heads and made poorly thought out comments about them.

Oh yeah - and they just went bankrupt, I can't imagine why
grin.gif

sparrow.jpg

[ 04-07-2003: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Zimmer's, gaudy Cord & Duesenberg replicars, 1970's Stutz's, and similar cars like that (way over-designed, someone got way too creative back in the 1970's & 1980's)

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
One more vote... (am I allowed?)

The 1958 Aurora Safety Car, designed by a Catholic priest. The style was, ahem, quite interesting. Thankfully it proved to be a one-off. Interestingly the car likely still survives, it was found still the States a number of years ago and rescued by someone to be restored.

I went searching on the web and can't seem to find any reference to it (or pictures of it) on the internet. But I do have references to it in books.

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:
AMC Pacer!!
pukeface.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Yes yes yes of course Basil - but what's amazing, nay nay, what's absolutely incredible is the Pacers are starting to pop up on the antique/classic circuit. I saw one last year that was "like new" - someone restored it. IMAGINE THAT!

There's also a guy locally that rebuilt (or rather "built") a Gremlin into a dragster/show-car, huge engine, incredibly expensive paintjob, incredible looking car -- still a Gremlin though
smile.gif

MattP

Jedi Knight
I have trouble calling any production car uglier than the Mohs Safarikar. The concept of a naugahyde exterior is hard to bottom. I worry about the simalarities between it and the New Rolls, which has my vote for the ugliest Brit (sort of) car. If they had just gotten the front as right as the rest of the car, it would be beautiful. But they didn't.

MattP

William

Darth Vader
I rather like the Bristol! Nothing compares to the old 401s, though, which are gorgeous!My votes for ugly by nature cars are the Mercedes SLK, the little roadster thing they build. Something about the style of that car just ain't right-the proportions don't quite gel for me. The new BMW Z4 is pretty odd looking too, especially if I'm standing next to it. I'd hoped that the photos in magazines and whatnot had been shot to emphasize certain features, and just happened to pick out what I didn't like, but no, a walkaround proves to me that I don't like its looks at all. Oh well.
-William

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sherlock:
Zimmer's, gaudy Cord & Duesenberg replicars, 1970's Stutz's, and similar cars like that (way over-designed, someone got way too creative back in the 1970's & 1980's)<hr></blockquote>

An *extra* thing to dislike about some of those "neo-classic" roadsters is that many require a Spridget to be used as a "donor". I couldn't believe this, when it was told to me, but then I saw one up close last year at the TVR "Woodwork" event....it's easy to tell the roots of this car by looking at the door....what a dreadful waste!

spritedoor.jpg

The Mohs is a rolling joke.....who *buys* those?

An inventor-type guy met with me at work about 5 years ago because he wanted to re-market the Aurora Safety Car (and he was looking for a partner)....naturally, I said "no thanks".

As for Gremlins....I've seen Amos Johnson race his factory-backed Gremlin at Lime Rock...fast! (but yes, still ugly!)

That Bristol 412 looks like "a Volvo from he//".....but the old 401 was a pretty car.

As for the MB SLK, I kinda like it, but it does have funny proportions. I drove a Z4 and it's a truly wonderful car to drive (esp with the new rear susp), but as a follow-up to the beautiful Z3 (my opinion) the styling is a little too "bold"....but then again, I'm an old man....a lot of my college kids like 'em.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Aeronca65T said: An inventor-type guy met with me at work about 5 years ago because he wanted to re-market the Aurora Safety Car (and he was looking for a partner)....naturally, I said "no thanks".<hr></blockquote>

Ugh! Somehow wish I could find a picture of it somewhere on the web, but then again...

It gives the Mohs a run for the money, and that's saying a lot!

clint

Avalanche, Aztec, Element? Pacers and Gremlins are looking better every day.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I like the Daimler SP250...

How about anything aerodynamic built after 2000?

How many "perfect" aerodynamic shapes can there be?

All time ugly car has got to be the Scion xB. Lets see, box, wheels. OK we're done.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ya know, i hate to put this one on the list, because I actually liked it when i first saw them back around '99. The Audi TT is quickly growing into one of my least favorite shapes on wheels these days. At first, i thought it was kind of cool looking. Then after seeing a few on the road i started noticing that the car was suspiciously shaped like a tennis shoe... Then the TT convertibles came out... ever seen an orange one on the road? Looks like the mother of all Advils!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

Bugeye58

Yoda
Hey, I like SP250's too, even though I have been heard to call them "bottom feeders." Something about the front end that has always reminded me of a catfish, I guess. They're an absolute hoot to drive.
Jeff

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Avalanche, Aztec, Element? Pacers and Gremlins are looking better every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!!!