• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rust prevention leaf springs?

T

Tinster

What is a good liquid spray that can be used on
bare steel leaf springs? My boat trailer leaf springs
are quickly developing rust even though they get a fresh
water wash down every time I use the boat?

Also, I noticed the back, underside of my new Jeep is
rusting on all the bare steel surfaces that come into
contact with the salt water while launching my boat..

Don't some of the older Brit cars have leaf springs?
How do you folks keep rust to a minimum?

thanks for the help,

tinster

Steve_S

Yoda
Disassemble them, pack with heavy grease or spray with a tenacious oil, reassemble and then wrap them. For wrap material you can either buy a gaiter kit or use a flexible, sealed material such as self-amalgamating polyurethane tape.

OP
T

Tinster

Hola Steve-

I think I am up to the task except for a minor detail.

Where will my boat be during the week or so it will
take me to modify my trailer?

I was kinda looking for a process that involves a product
I can apply quickly and as often as needed- while someone
has my boat in the water fishing and the trailer is empty.

My Trailer is a Mako and everything is seriously plastic
coated except the leaf springs.

Dan- graphite? please explain further.

thanks

Steve_S

Yoda
Nothing will be quick except for spraying them down with a water-displacing oil, such as WD-40. Grease, heavy oil or even graphite poweder / oil require the springs to be disassembled.

You can buy the supplies ahead of time, then jack up one side of the trailer and rebuild the springs one at a time. In one afternoon they will be done.

Or just spray them down with oil once per week.

bugimike

Yoda
A regular soaking with Marvel Mystery Oil should work fine!

OP
A

aerog

I've used LPS products on various items. Look here for info. LPS-1 is really light weight, a terrific lube, and penetrates. LPS-3 lubricates but it's a really heavy material that is meant for rust prevention.

Might be hard to find in PR, I think I found it at Lowes and Ace up here. Sometimes marine maintenance places have them.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ditto on the LPS-3. I think you could spray something with that and store it in salt water without worrying about rust.
Great stuff!
Jeff

OP
T

Tinster

Thanks guys!

The LPS-3 looks exactly what I need BUT.....

Homeland Security will not allow it shipped here.

I am presently using a similar product by Krud Kutter
named "The Must For Rust" which is a rust remover and
inhibitor with a 12 month life cycle. I spray the
trailer leaf springs once a month.

I'll keep an eye on the bare steel and see how it goes.

thanks all,

dale

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve_S said:
For wrap material you can either buy a gaiter kit or use a flexible, sealed material such as self-amalgamating polyurethane tape.

Seems to me that this would trap any water in the spring and let it rust away out of sight, out of mind!
My guess is that these springs are not coated since not many coatings will hold up to the abuse.

Steve_S

Yoda
That's why the tape is self-sealing, flexible and waterproof. Wrapping springs was, and in some cases still is, the thing to do in muddy, wet climates such as the UK. Look at most pre-war and early post-war rally racing cars in Britain. You will notice rope tied around the springs. This isn't just string, it's treated to keep water out. It didn't always work but it was better than nothing. Today we have better technologies!

OP
G

It is unusual to back most LBCs into water. That, plus they leak enough oil to self-lubricate.

OP
T

Tinster

Good one Bill!!

I figured since rust seems to plague these cars
and particularly where road salt is used, what
better forum to find a solution to rust on leaf
springs??

So it looks like I'm headed down the correct street.

d