• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Crocodile Hunter dead

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Sad news. Steve Irwin, the Crocodile hunter, was killed in a freak accident while diving off the coast of Austrailia. A Ray struck him in the chest and killed him while he was filming there. He was only 44. I thought he wa a bit nuts sometimes, but I really enjoyed his shows. Very sad for his family.

Basil

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just heard about this. Very sad. Only watched him some, but he was such an advocate for animals, and entertaining to boot. He leaves a wife and 2 young children. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
Very sad, He made watching those animal shows entertaining....No doubt he will be rememebered.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Holy cow. Wow.

Speechless.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Sad news indeed. I volunteer at a local zoo presenting reptiles to the visitors. His work was a constnt reminder to me that first and foremost you must engage the visitor in the subject if you are going to have them learn anything from it.

He certainly had a knack for making snakes and other critters exciting and especially getting kids to see them as an interesting and important part of our world. He will be missed.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Bummer. It's all over the news.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
It is sad to hear this. I liked watching him and his wild ways. I heard that because of what he did, he was unable to get life insurance. I hope that he left enough behind to take care of his family. I know money can't replace a loved one, but it can give you one less thing to worry about.

RIP

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Very sad and an extremely freak snorkeling accident. If the news reports are correct the barb pierced his heart. The barb is at the base of the tail and not at the end as many people think making that an unusual fatal wound. I thought it was the sting that killed him and not a puncture wound as such.

Bruce

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
That's sad, very sad. I hadn't heard this news at all, this is the first I saw of it. Our local news, when I tuned in, was preoccupied with a skunk that had managed to get a styofoam cup stuck on its head last Tuesday......useless!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Sad. he had proved himself to be much more than just a crazy TV show host. I admired his efforts in wildlife conservation.
The only thing I can say is he died doing what he loved. not from old age or some tragic disease.
Like Uncle Hub in "2nd Hand Lions" "He died with his boots on. That's the important thing."

sideache

Jedi Knight
Very, very sad - but not suprisng. I think he took un-necessary risks for the sake of the TV shot. My boys would sometimes comment - why does he do what he tells others not to? They enjoyed him very much - as did I. But he also had a family that should have tempered some of his risk taking.

Reports say that he swam above the ray - agitating it. Rays don't strike unless provoked. It's very sad, but it didn't have to happen. It's even more sad that his kids will not have him around.

William

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
"He died with his boots on. That's the important thing."

[/ QUOTE ]

Swim fins, at any rate.

Still, this is rather sad news-I always liked Steve Irwin's shows. Too true, you have to engage your viewers to get them to learn anything, and that was something he could do very well indeed.

I've heard that stingray stings can be deadly if they puncture an artery or something-a bad guy in Carl Hiaasen's novel Lucky You bleeds out after being stuck in the leg by a ray. My sister will freak out-we have a coupla photos of her and a friend of hers they taken in the Caribbean on a cruise-they're holding up a stingray.

-Wm.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Very sad indeed. He did so much for teaching children (and adults) about animals. He never hesitated to communicate that what he did was dangerous.

Tragic.

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I can say is he died doing what he loved. not from old age or some tragic disease.
Like Uncle Hub in "2nd Hand Lions" "He died with his boots on. That's the important thing."

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very sad, but he lived like there was no tomorrow and I admire that. I think he knew at some point his luck would run out. It is "wild" life after all. In many episodes he was dangling the edge of some rock face, rolling in the water with a saltwater croc, playing with spitting cobras, or getting bit by lemurs. I can't think of a better way for him to leave. And what a legacy, he changed wildlife shows forever. Crikey Steve, you were the best! I hope there are animals in heaven that need care.

2nd Hand Lions - Great movie.