• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Neat Old Volt Meter

Steve_S

Yoda
I know some of you are into old tools and such so I thought I'd share this one. We found this old volt meter in a building being torn down at an old observatory. The last calibration date is 1910. I don't know if it's anything special (I doubt it) but it sure is neat and in great condition. It's sitting on display with some old cameras in my house now.

meter1.jpg

meter2.jpg

meter3.jpg

meter4.jpg

meter5.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I kinda like the "contrast" between the voltmeter and that "stack" of Linksys gear in the background, actually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Obviously the meter was built to last a few lifetimes. There's a beauty in that paradigm (at least for me).

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
To cool! I always loved old stuff. My wife and I have collected antiques for years and I particularly love old surveying equiptment. Course my favorite is still old military Firearms. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Inquiring minds want to know... Does it work??

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Very cool!
I have a couple of old VOMs but not anywhere near that old
Just 50s and 60s.
We had our community rummage sale yesterday. Sold off some of our junk, and wound up buying more stuff.
We bought a 1904, tredel powered, Singer sewing machine.(type 27-3) in nice working order, with all the attachments and goodies.
and a mid 1800s chamber pot set in a hinged wooden box. I had to get it cause it's weird. I told the wife it would make a crappy little endtable....
I'll have to take some pics.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
kyreb 1862 could i interest you in a plumb bob, or an old split level, or an old theodolite that i had to use that i am sure was used by one sergio gallileo!

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
kyreb 1862 could i interest you in a plumb bob, or an old split level, or an old theodolite that i had to use that i am sure was used by one sergio gallileo!

[/ QUOTE ]Talk to me my friend. Give me some prices. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I like old tools and military rifles as well. Bought a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 a couple of months ago, and would love to get an SMLE in good shape. If it has a nice wooden stock and is old, I'm at least semi-interested. Bolt action helps.

A few years ago at a hamfest, someone was selling old stuff that TVA had sold surplus. I bought something, not even sure what it was, but that didn't matter cause it came in a really neat old wooden box and had antique-looking switchgear. Almost like something you'd see in a WWII movie. I'll try to post a pic soon.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
So, Banjo... Inquiring minds want to know... Does the chamber pot work??

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
So, Banjo... Inquiring minds want to know... Does the chamber pot work??

[/ QUOTE ]
That's for me to know, and you to clean out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
would love to get an SMLE in good shape. If it has a nice wooden stock

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, just sold a No1 mkIII with matching numbers for $100. They're pretty easy to come by for less than $200. As for stocks, use a wet cloth and an iron and most wooden rifles clean right up, gets the scratches out too.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That is pretty cool. I have an old tube tester from the 1920s that also works as a voltmeter, and I've found it's pretty darn accurate for being over 80 years old. It actually came in handy for checking out the tubes for a 1924 radio I bought.

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Want to trade for old baseball cards? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
would love to get an SMLE in good shape. If it has a nice wooden stock

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, just sold a No1 mkIII with matching numbers for $100. They're pretty easy to come by for less than $200. As for stocks, use a wet cloth and an iron and most wooden rifles clean right up, gets the scratches out too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that just the way it goes sometimes? Nice is a relative term. Even a battered wooden stock is nice IMHO. One of the local pawn shops stocks alot of milsurp rifles. It's where I bought my MN. The Enfields that were there on my last visit looked like they had been through it and were priced at $130 apiece. I'm assuming that includes the cleaning cord and bottle.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
No sir, in my experience, that $130 will get you the rifle, and that's about it. Beware the wondering zero.