• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ship car to Europe

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Anyone have a very ball park figure on what it might cost to ship a car from Houston TX to Europe? Not concerned where in Europe at the moment. Just a rough idea of costs.

Bruce

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Last time I shipped one from Europe to Bayonne, New Jersey it cost $1,000 for shipping plus all the money I spent repairing it after the guys in the Bayonne yard left the sunroof open because they had played the radio until it drained the battery - rain did quite a bit of damage to interior; but, they weren't at fault. They blamed it on the Europeans & the Europeans blamed it on Bayonne; & I took it up the.....................

R6MGS

Yoda
$1000 aint bad....I figured it would be alot more than that, it costs me more than that to bring cars up from Florida.

Country flag
Shipping a big Healey from New Jersey to Folkestone in England in 2002 cost $800 plus another ÂŁ130 here for customs clearance and handling charges.

Note that you should also think about the taxes involved. Here in the UK those could be 10% import duty plus another 17.5% VAT, and they charge taxes ON the taxes. Ouch. I pre-paid the shipping costs to the US shipping company or else I would have been charged VAT on those too.

You may be able to get an exemption from some of these taxes, though the system in the UK does not now seem to be quite as liberal in granting exemptions as before. I presume other EU countries run similar schemes.

You might look at what I say about this on my website:

https://www.healeyjournal.com/pages/importingpages/importing.html#Customs

The best thing to do would be to contact a freight forwarding company and get an estimate from them. They use containers and should be able to give a pretty fair idea of the costs with a general size/weight description. I found that the shipper I used delievered to a limited number of destination ports. Surface transport to the final destination can be extortionately expensive. It would have cost more to truck the car to Glasgow from Folkestone than the total ocean transport costs.

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
All of your comments help quite a hit. Thanks very much.

Bruce