• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trucks for Towing

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm thinking about buying a truck for towing to & from
Denver.I'm thinking 1/2 or 3/4 ton,V8 or Diesel,extended
cab.
What's good/bad about Chevy,Ford or Dodge?
I'm a Ford guy at heart,but I'm "wiiling to learn",as they
said in "Stripes" (the movie).

- Doug

Bret

Yoda
Gee Doug? Ask a hard question why don't you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I can almost guarantee that everyone will have a different point of view on this.

Personally when it comes to trucks I’ve always gone with Ford. However my reasons for choosing Ford trucks all these years haven’t always been out of loyalty. I’ve actually shopped Dodge & GM but for a multitude of reasons have almost always gone back to what I’ve been comfortable with.

Regardless of what badge is on the front of the vehicle at the end of the day the differences are few. Next time you get a chance scan over some of the more popular publications that do “side by side” or “head to head” competitions between the brands, you’ll notice that right away that every one has their weak & strong points and when you total the numbers up – on say a hundred point scale the difference between first & third can be counted on one hand.

More telling than that - take a look at the categories and how they break down. Discounting the hard numbers for Horse Power, Torque, Towing & load capacities etc. Almost everything else is subjective. Styling? Ride & handling? Cup holders? What I like to call "fluff stuff". I mean a guy lookiing for a new truck has some "serious issues" if at the end of the day - the number of cup holders is the deciding factor in his next truck purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But the one thing that always sold me on Ford isn’t the amount of HP & Torque so much as where in the power band those numbers are delivered. Over the years every one of the Big Three has been able to claim top honors when it comes to numbers at one time or another. But Ford for the most part delivers it’s power at low RPMs compared to the competition.

However we recently purchased a Envoy Denali XL 4x4 for my wife and one of the things that sold me on it was that it had the 5.3L V8 rather than a V6. While it can’t tow as much as my 2001 F-150 4x4 it has a respectable amount of power towing capability that comes pretty close for what appears to be just another glorified Mom mobile. But where the wife's vehicle V8 really shines is in Gas mileage. Because it has a new thing called variable displacement where it actually runs on 4 cylinders at cruising speed and believe it or not the GM 5.3L V8 gets better gas mileage than the V6 offered in the Envoy.

So I’d do some research on what you want in a truck. Do you need four wheel drive or are you more concerned cup holders? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
One thing I'd say is, it depends on what you're towing.
I got tired of paying $100 to fill the gas tank on my 1-ton Chevy G30 StepVan and it is now for sale.
I just bought a Ford minivan to replace it. The Ford will tow 3500 lbs and actually has more horsepower than the Chevy. It's got plenty of juice for towing my Spridget and a friend tows an Acura with an identical van. It's much nicer to drive and makes a better "second car" than most trucks. My "crew" likes it better too. And it gets 22 mpg around town.
If you need rwd, Chevy still makes the small rwd mini van (as well as various fwd vans).
I realize that you are planning on towing in mountains and may be planning on towing bigger stuff. Then, I suppose, you'd be better off with a "real" truck.
In the past, I might have said that diesels would be better for this type of use, but nowadays, diesel fuel (at least in my area) is much more expensive, so the improved mileage seems like a wash, costwise.
One other idea: a nice non-truck tow vehicle (that makes an excellent second car as well) is the new Ford 500 4 wheel drive sedan. One of our racers uses one of those....seems cool and is kind of a nice police-car type cruiser with decent gas mileage
As far as Ford vs Chevy vs Chrysler...they all seem fine to me. My brother has a 4-door mid-size Dakota pickup that seems pretty nice and will tow well and carry a crowd...Chevy and Ford make similar trucks.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ooops!, I realised I forgot to mention that I'm
looking for a used truck.I'm trying to decide on resaling
it when I get back (a consideration on price when buying),
or keep it,& sell the Dakota.It only gets 16MPG all-
-around.

- Doug

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[I replied before I read your second post about buying a used truck, but I think most still applies...]

My advice is to narrow your choices to a small number, and then drive them and don't make a decision until you've tried them all. Search the net for forums dealing with the specific make and review the chatter.

I recently bought a Toyota Tacoma 4wd because I've had great luck with them in the past and the magazine writeups were good. I really wish I'd looked around more. The new truck is more comfortable and quicker, but isn't as good a truck as the old one (with 180K miles). It doesn't have the low end luggability, the plastic bed liner is so slippery everything needs to be tied down – and the tie downs seem like they were designed by Fisher-Price and are all but useless for my needs. The throttle seems to take advice from me, rather than do what I want. (There's more, but you get the idea).

Towing is good, but I live on a dirt road that's 4wd-only for part of the year and have concerns about this vehicle come mud season.

The Toyota truck forums had numerous entries regarding these complaints – if I'd thought to look at them I probably would have been more careful selecting a new truck.

Bret

Yoda
Ok, so you want a used truck and plan on unloading it quickly after your trip to & from Colorado.

Well personally if I was looking for a used truck that I planed on hanging on to for a while, I’d look for the cleanest least molested specimen I could find. However if it was a weekend beater/hauler I’d be more inclined to lower my standards to include just about anything with four wheels. But by the sound of it – you need is something in the middle.

However I don’t think finding a vehicle is you’re real problem. That would be avoiding getting raked over the coals on the resale afterwards if you want to unload it fast. It is for that reason I suggest you consider “renting a vehicle” for the trip.

I rent trucks a lot for my work and admit that it ain’t cheap. But another advantage to renting is that it might end up being the safest and cheapest option for what you want to do. Consider this - should you have any problems and/or mechanical failures along the way on your short trip – you only need make a phone call and the rental company comes & gets you. Moreover at the end of the day – you simply give the vehicle back and you’re done. But if you purchase a used vehicle with an unknown past, you probably rolling the dice. You won’t have a warranty and will be pretty much on your own should you have any problems along the way.

I’ve rented many “full sized” trucks & SUVs from Enterprise. Booking it on line you could probably get a truck from them with unlimited miles for about $250 for a week. Not a bad deal if you do the math. I’ve clocked over 1500 miles in one week and at the end of the week I turned it in no questions asked.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah,but they don't allow you to(officialy)tow
anything with these rentals.With my luck,I'd get caught.
Although I probably wouldn't do it in the first place -
- guilty concience,you know.

Bret

Yoda
Well that may be true of some rental agencies. But renting in the realm of 25 to 30+ rentals annually and I can honestly say that I’ve never been told that I could not tow with one of them. About the only thing I’ve been asked is if I’m going into Mexico or out of state. I usually tell them Arizona and it’s not a problem. But because you want to go to Colorado - you might want to ask before you rent.

But think about it rentals see some of the worst driving conditions and it’s known fact that they are abused or at the very least neglected by the folks that rent them. Mainly because of the simple fact, that in their eyes the vehicle isn’t theirs. Most folks in my line of work refer to them as “ATRs” or “All Terrain Rentals”. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Not to say that we try to smash them up or anything like that – its just that we tend to hit that speed bump a little harder that we would if it was our own vehicle.

Anyway I can truthfully say that I’ve never read anything about not towing in any rental contract, so I figure if they’ve never asked – it must be ok. I mean to me it seems kind of obvious that folks who specifically rent “trucks” are going to use them. Whether it’s to haul junk to the dump or bring a load of lumber home from the local Home Depot. So they rent you a truck with the correct class trailer hitch set-up - that tells me that its ok.

What’s that they say “don’t ask, don’t tell”... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
But the question is whether the rental truck has a towing package w/ brake controller and reese style hitch. It it does not, then you're up the creek!

Bret

Yoda
As best I can recall all of the full size vehicles I rented from Enterprise had Class III hitches. Factory mounted to the frame with the proper universal electrical socket. Just make sure when you make a reservation that you ask for a full size truck or SUV and you should be ok.

About the only thing you’ll need is the proper ball & mount that can be found just about anywhere.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The Dakota is 2WD,& I might be taking 2 vehicles
to/from Denver,if I can find a trailer to rent.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifHehe, I must be too expensive... The Dakota should make it if all you are hauling is the one car. Anything more, you're going to start talking about a 3/4 ton, minimum. My truck('96 F-250 4x4 extended cab with a 5.8L) will haul my 40' trailer, but I wish I had a 1 ton PSD. Beggars can't be too picky, both the truck and the trailer came from a salvage aution. 2wd will work as long as the roads are dry. I'd just be sure to check the weather up in the high country before you leave. I'd also make sure you have a brake controler for a little truck like that. I got stuck hauling a car on a trailer I picked up for a friend in Az.(the trailer that is, the car came outa LA) POS Trailer didn't have brakes! I got caught in one heck of a storm coming home. 2wd F-150 short box, to boot! All I have to say is, scary! As far as beater full size trucks, Dodges have funny trackbar issues on the 4wds, and tend to puke trannies. Fords eat tires if you don't keep them rotated, and the 460's are pretty crappy.(no power!) Fords have a tendancy to puke fuel pumps. Both however have pretty decent diesels, but you're going to pay for 'em. GM products, not a fan. As far as rental trucks got, can't you rent a U-Haul with a trailer for a reasonable rate? If you got a big enough truck and knew where there was a loading dock, you could put a car in the back... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's what started this whole thing - I called U-Haul,
& they Quoted me $1900+ for a 10ft. truck ONE WAY!,+ $650/
/ONE WAY for a trailer.For about 5 grand,I'll buy something
that I can get part of my money back out of.
I've kind of settled on a 3/4 ton Suburban.They are
cheaper to buy,& I can wait until income tax refund time to
resale.
I'm test driving a '94 Ford F250 Longbed 4WD right now.
Gas hog,pig to drive,plus this one has a salvage title.The
owner told me she'd take $5500 for it.112,000 miles.
Problem is,when you go to resale it,people will see "salvage",& run the other way.
Besides,we need to rent a van to haul 7 people from
the Sacramento Airport,which we would have to rent a van.
It's funny,now that I want to buy a gas guzzling vehicle,I have a hard time finding what I want.
Anyway,thanks for the tips,& input.

- Doug

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Whoa!!! $5500 for an "S" titled '94 F-250(gas) is waaaayyyy too much. I bought mine for $1900. Dude hit a Conifer goin' backward way too fast... At least I knew why it was at the auction, nothing mechanical. I fixed enough to be driveable and took it on a 4800 mile trip. Since then, it's a little less cosmetically challenged.(also read, I cut the side of the cab off, welded in a new one, and replaced the box) The problem with a van is you can't pull a 5th wheel/ gooseneck. Yes you can get big bumper pulls, but my goodness they must be a pain to pull. I know after going to my trailer, pulling my buddy's '16 sucks. Stupid thing, can't jack it like a gooseneck... Lemme know if I can be any help. What motor does the Ford have in it?

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It has a 460.I've decided to pass on it.I'm going to
go with a 3/4 ton Suburban,with the 454 motor.
Man,that's scary - I never thought I'd utter those words.
- "I'm looking for a Suburban with a 454"!
Anyway,thanks a lot for the input.I'm planning on being
in Denver the first week in January.

- Doug

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Man,that's scary - I never thought I'd utter those words

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifHehe, you sound like one of my buddies. I've known him for 9-10 years now, big time into German cars. He just bought this last spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5a_1_b.jpg

I like to think I corrupted him...

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well,I've done it.Put a deposit down on a '94 K2500
4X4 (= 16!)GMC Suburban - or "The Bus".Hope that I did
the right thing.I'll find out when I go to sell.10-11-
-MPG may mean it's parked a lot.
Does anyone also know of the good places to eat -
(especially breakfast),in Nevada,Colorado & Wyoming,
on the route from Reno - Denver?

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Fiesta's in Edwards, Co. Best #$%^%$ fajita's in the state! Take exit 163 off I-70 just west of Avon/Vail. There's a rest area on the south side of the hwy that is walking distance to the restraunt if you have parking concerns.(east side of the road) Anywhoo, go south off of I-70 and Fiesta's is on the west side of the road in a strip mall, about 1/2 mile from the hwy.The place can have a long wait if you go there around 6pm during ski season, especially on weekends. Another place is Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs. It's right in the center of town, so parking will be a pain if you have a trailer. Good pizza, lot's of history, and a Colorado tradition. Everyone eats there on the way home from the mountains. Ah, but you're coming in on the northern route, aren't you. Whole lotta nothin' up that way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
After talking to you about the PU, I think you are right on with a Surburban or like. They tow a regular tailer very well. You can find them much easier than a PU but you may have resale trouble with the CA gas prices. I like the Chevy-Gmc deisel with the Allison transmission. Friends hauled show cattle over Donner with them and they loved the ability to down shift with the break until you get to the speed you are comfi with.