• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any tall Elan owners out there?

William

Darth Vader
So, Dad and I went to our local British Car shop for their open house thing today. Bunch of nice cars showed, despite the rather cold windy weather. There was a really nice Elan S2 roadster there, first one I'd seen outside of Classic and Sportscar in a coupla years. Fell right in love. But, I'm pretty sure I don't fit-the owner wasn't around so's I couldnt try the car on. I'm about six-two. Anyone that tall fit in an Elan?
just curious!
-William

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
William, the Elan's seat drops a bit as it's moved rearwards and I suspect you'd feel comfortable in it. The real problem in early Elans is the pedal spacing. I wear a size 9 or 9 1/2 and had to drive with my toes. It's very easy to hit both the accelerator and the brake pedals. I undetstand that rhd cars are not quite as tight but have never driven one. You get used to it.

Great cars, though.

John C

S2Elan

Freshman Member
Well, I'm 6'0" and I don't have any problems. Even with the top up on rare occations it wasn't a problem, so I don't think 6'2" should be an issue. The pedals can be, I wear a 10 1/2 and my foot is wide, so dancing with the pedals can be an issue, but you get used to it. BTW, my car is RHD and I've driven both RHD and LHD and the pedal spacing seemed the same to me, but I didn't get down there and measure anything.

cheers.gif
Russ

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
I'm 6'-4" but never sat in the "old" Elan. I owned a S2 Europa and fit fine but tight. Couldn't wear just any size 12 shoes though... I've sat in the new Elan and found it to be OK, except for the small pedal spacing again. Not everyone has Jim Clark feet!!!

grin.gif

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Hi... new guy here. I am 6 foot and I don't need the seat all the way back, so you should be ok. As far as pedal spacing goes, yea it's tight, but I did some cutting and welding on my pedal assy to widen the spacing out... Awsome result.. Lot's of space with my normal running shoes, and actually better for heel and toeing cause my foot doesn't get caught.. the only dis-advantage is no where to rest my clutch foot during hard cornering. I could make a thin dead pedal, but it's really not that big a problem as I am never in the car long enough to need to rest my foot, and the seat holds me pretty tight anyway. I HATE driving Elans with the stock pedal arrangement.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm 6' 2" and I am quite comfortable in my Elan...more than in some other larger British sportscars. The one problem I have is with my big feet...because the pedals are close together, I must wear skinny shoes to avoid clutching and braking at the same time.