• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Microsoft loves me and wants me to be happy...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Second "robocall" from "Microsoft" today, aping my own phone number on the caller ID, telling me my IP address is compromised and my MS license needs changing...
Only box to be seen here is a Linux firewall beyond the router, and the modem's set up as a bridge, not broadcasting WiFi. If I needed another hobby I'd look to hunting these bozos and scrambling THEIR LAN's and servers.

...who falls for this drek?!?!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got an email from "Amazon" last week letting me know that my account needed a "security" upgrade and to "click here".... yeah right.
We need to find these guys doc and give them a little attitude adjustment :rolleye:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'd bet that 99% of all that junk email and phone stuff would disappear overnight, if each email and phone call cost the originator just one cent.

TM

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
They almost got me the other day. Apparently from a TR friend that I know has been sick, saying he needed help. I thought maybe he wanted help selling TR parts or something. Not sure whose address book got compromised, but the scammer also knew my first name.

But I know that TR friend would never ask me for money, particularly not by email, so that made it obvious.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I got an email from a friend on the Racing History list like that. First off, I knew E. Dean Butler, who was the founder of LensCrafters, and is the owner of Zakira's Garage in Cincinnati, would not need to reach out for money while traveling. And if he did, I would be way down on his list of people he would ask.

The USPS would do much better too if they dropped the discount rates for advertising and political claptrap mailings. If anything, raise those rates, and not stop at each house unless there was mail to deliver. Without the bulk mailings, our postal carrier would be able to skip us several days a week.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have been getting calls left on my answering thing at home leaving me messages about not using any apple devices until I call "apple support service" or something like that on a number that they claim is toll free but I somehow doubt it really is. Needless to say I never call back.

My work phone is swamped with everything from renewing my car warranty (I tried to enroll my 1973 MGB - they hung up) to forgiving the student loans I don't have and even offers for questionable medical devices that offer chronic back pain. I can't ignore calls or refuse to answer the phone at work unfortunately....

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I got Doc's Microsoft impostor last week. 3 calls, none answered, so they quit. Two weeks ago the IRS had obtained a warrant under which I could only avoid arrest if I called. Still waiting for the Marshals. Laws that make computer sabotage a crime should contain exceptions for destruction of scammers' systems.
Bob

dklawson

Yoda
...who falls for this drek?!?!
Unfortunately, my best friends mother-in-law fell for it. Also, my brother-in-law fell for one of the similar scams.

My wife and I do not have caller ID so we don't even answer the phone anymore. We let it go straight to voice mail so we can filter out a whole bunch of robo calls.

... and even offers for questionable medical devices that offer chronic back pain.
No thanks. I already have enough naturally occurring back pain. I don't need a device to create more.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
1. I owe the IRS. They're coming to get me.
2. My computer is frozen. (Just shut it down). Do not click on number!
3. I have won a trip! Hurray!
4. The police are looking for a donation.
5. I just got both a nickel and a dime in an envelope from 2 different charities. The dime I sent back. The nickel I kept. They count on guilt.
6. I have caller ID on 4 phones. Can't live without it. Weak link is bedroom landline phone. No caller ID.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just yesterday had 2 e mails telling me that my bank account needed attention. I do not bank at either bank so I felt safe in not opening them. Straight in the junk pile like 99% of my e mail.

The We won't work on your computer is driving my Wife's aunt crazy. She is worried about what to do about it. Does not have a computer and never has. We tell her just ignore the calls but being in her 90s and probable in the early stages of dementia she always answers the phone.
While we were visiting last week the phone rang and I answered. It was some "Insurance company" name carefully mumbled calling about diabetes help. Went on to ascertain that I had diabetes. Not having diabetes he morphed to back pain. I played along misunderstanding what he was saying and having him repeat his script. He said "Body pain" and I would say "What kind of body stain" went on for a while. Had him go back to the beginning again then when he got to the body pain I said "Oh Bonny pain" is that some kind of Scottish thing. He hung up on me.

I have heard of a guy that developed a program to keep these people on the phone talking. His theory is if they are talking to his machine they are not bothering other people and it costs then time and money to talk to his program.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
This is all so maddening - and amusing at the same time.

All it takes to stop the junk calls: your phone service provider blocks *all* calls to your phone, except those on your approved/contact list. That's it. Nothing else needed. Like how a computer internet firewall works. Only the numbers you yourself approve can come through.

Easy.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have gotten the IRS one too and if I don't call and pay up immediately the "local cops will take you (me) into custody."

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We got rid of our landline 3 years ago and all the robo calls stopped. If I don’t recognize an incoming number on my cell I don’t answer it.

dklawson

Yoda
I have gotten the IRS one too and if I don't call and pay up immediately the "local cops will take you (me) into custody."

Several years ago while my son was a freshman in college he got the "IRS Call". He was unfamiliar with how the IRS works but smart enough to say "I'll get back with you" and then hang up. He called his mom and asked if he could really owe the IRS and if they would send police to arrest him right away. She explained there would be a LOT of written correspondence first and that phone calls like this were scams.

My wife and I have become very skeptical, suspicious, and almost paranoid from all the scams that are out there. We trust nothing anymore... not phone calls, not emails, nothing. If we didn't originate the communication we typically review and dismiss it. We are always on our guard for fraud.

Basil

Administrator
Boss

I've had that a couple of time too, along with the microsoft call telling me my Windows has some sort of issue (I use an iMac).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - back when I worked for President Lincoln, the only time you got "junk" calls was when someone dialed a wrong number.

Now phone service is much cheaper! We get what we pay for.

Country flag
Yea, I've gotten those from "America IRS" calls. Had one say that the police were sitting at the end of the street waiting to take me in. My response was "great, I could use a little time off. Send them on down". Guy calling was not amused and let me know with language I'd guess wasn't used in front of his mother..

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've had that a couple of time too, along with the microsoft call telling me my Windows has some sort of issue (I use an iMac).

Us too. They often say they are from the Internal Revenue ServiceS. Of course, the IRS would never call this way.