• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First snow

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Supposed to be 1" then change to rain. Instead - 3 inches and pandemonium. Cars were waiting 3 deep at Town Fair tire. Coming home from my weekly poker game (I lost $8.00) was a nightmare. Cars slipping and sliding all over the place and worse, stalled out with 4-way flashers. Took me 30 minutes to drive the 4 miles or so. Thanks God for the Subaru 4-wheel drive. It paid for itself. Wife's car stayed home - worn tires.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - Last night's forecast for us in eastern Connecticut was 1-3 inches. This morning the forecast magically became 2-4". As of 3pm today it was 4-8".

Snow started here around 5pm. In the last three hours we've got about 4 inches.

Never fails.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We had 7" here in Pennsylvania. On top of that we have no heat... called for service but will have to wait until tomorrow.
I did plow my driveway though :smile:

Snow Plow specialweb.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK - 10pm. Now we're up to 6 inches on the ground. Probably turning to freezing rain soon, then all rain, then it'll freeze into white cement tomorrow morning.

I'm staying by the woodstove, to exercise my schadenfreude watching other drivers driving to work tomorrow.

As Dom Deluise - Dominick the Great - would often say ... "I have no shame."

https://youtu.be/fiDEYy5cuEU

(Good grief, do I ever miss the simple, unembarrasing TV of the 1960s.)

TM

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
only and inch or two here - and slushier than snowy as we are close to the lake. Had to go to a meeting about 20 miles away - and had to leave during rush hour - drive was a total PITA though

Oh and the radio stations were calling today "National forget how to drive day."

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Can't say I miss all that. We're seeing an increase of migratory "forget how to drive" traffic on the streets, though.

Dropped below 50°F overnight here, so at least there will be a reduction in mosquito annoyance for a few days. :smirk:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My old truck I gave my son and his wifes Mini yesterday. They live in New Jersey across the river from Philadelphia. Snow IS very pretty, when in someone elses yard! :highly_amused:
View attachment 56247

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
We got 4.7 inches. Clouds finally breaking up but temp still in the 30s and very windy. Subaru goes into dealer today for 6-month 6000 service. Driveway not plowed so Honda may have to stay home.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Can't say I miss all that. We're seeing an increase of migratory "forget how to drive" traffic on the streets, though.

when we lived there, it was terrifying, especially when I was on a motorcycle - the problem with living in God's waiting room is that some feel they can drive to their appointment. (typically in very big cars)

I recall waiting in line at the DMV and watching a couple - she had to do an eye test to get her license renewed - he had to hold her head up to see into the viewer. :scared:

Met a woman at a gas station once - I had to help her get her gas cap off, she was telling me that she had "washed" her front windshield only to realize she had grabbed a bottle of spray and wash instead of windex. :rolleyes:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, I thought you loved that old Chevy, what made you give it to your son?

Country flag
I recall waiting in line at the DMV and watching a couple - she had to do an eye test to get her license renewed - he had to hold her head up to see into the viewer.

Reminds me of this elderly couple I saw at the Ohio BMV once, he was renewing license and was on a walker. apparently couldn't hear well as the wife was answering the questions, explaining he had cataracts. Amazingly the lady at the counter then said he was somehow exempt from the eye test, and he slowly walked out with a new license.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul, I thought you loved that old Chevy, what made you give it to your son?

Walter,I needed a larger cab for the dogs, plus I was tired of him driving patched up junk! I think he loves that truck more than I did. Even though he doesn't have a garage to keep it in, he cleans and waxes it quite a bit. Once he gets his electrical engineering degree, which will be pretty soon, his pay scale increases quite a bit and then their going to buy a nicer home, with a garage! :encouragement: Bought a 4 door Silverado, which has a fold down rear seat, great for bedding for the dogs. I do miss the old one though. :grin: PJ

This one, with a few more accessories :rolleyes2:
View attachment 56265

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We just brought our grandson here when schools let out early on Thursday. The first flakes hit the windshield as we got about 1/4 mile from home. Our 2-4 prediction with rain and melting turned into 7" with a sleet coating on top. By Friday morning driving was again okay, but the road crews were not ready around here. The development plowed our streets and the driveway, although I had done a foot path for the mail. Today the snow is already dirty, and even the backroads are clear.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OK - 10pm. Now we're up to 6 inches on the ground. Probably turning to freezing rain soon, then all rain, then it'll freeze into white cement tomorrow morning.

I'm staying by the woodstove, to exercise my schadenfreude watching other drivers driving to work tomorrow.

As Dom Deluise - Dominick the Great - would often say ... "I have no shame."

https://youtu.be/fiDEYy5cuEU

(Good grief, do I ever miss the simple, unembarrasing TV of the 1960s.)

TM

When ya gotta use a pick-axe to clear the driveway, you're in the wrong latitude!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, that's a nice new pick-up and very generous of you to donate your old one to your son.