• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What have i gotten myself into?

AngusSaunders

Freshman Member
Hi All,
I have started a restoration of a 65 BJ8. It was on the roads of central NY for 8 years and likely driven in the winter. My Dad bought it and held it until he gave up on it. I took over the car and after inspecting the car it was evident that a frame up was needed. In a word it had rotted, scrap it or restore it? They don't make em anymore and every one of them that gets scrapped is one less. I took it apart and it sat for more years. Now retired I have the time needed to bring it back. The only area not rusted to dirt was the part covered in what many call British rust proofing, the frame was weaker than a Chinese swing set and taking into account the money and time spent to restore a big Healey a new frame was a must. About a year ago I went up to Ontario and picked up a new frame from Martin Jansen and the odyssey began. I can't imagine how anyone could restore frame up without Martin's videos, but I can see I am going to need a lot more help. Having looked this forum over I think this is the right place to get that help. If you don't know where you are going it's best to walk in someone else's foot steps.

I am no stranger to the British conveyances, I have owned and maintained a 66 and 68 MGB, a 57 MGA, a 63 Triumph motorcycle and I still have a Matchless. And I have always maintained if you can't fix em you probably shouldn't own em. Eventually you learn the tools and parts you don't leave home without. But we love them. I will be begging for help so thank you all in advance.
Angus

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Angus

Welcome to the Forum

You are at the beginning of a marathon.

The Austin Healey section will be a great place to get help, tips and advice for your rebuild. The new frame is a great idea especially if the original one is rusty.

What Matchless do you have? My second motorcycle was a Matchless 500 single.

David

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome aboard Angus! As Davis mentioned, jump into our Healey forum here - very active and a great bunch of folks.

OP
A

AngusSaunders

Freshman Member
Hi David,
My Matchless is one of those 750 twins that was a combination Norton - Matchless, I think the model is GS 15. I haven't ridden it in years and it needs a rebuild, I think I'll do the Healey first.
Cheers, Angus