• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

June 6th

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Dad was a 19yo Combat Medic when his unit deployed to Europe in May 1944. Later fought in Battle of the Bulge in December 1944.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
One of my favorite Invasion photos. Eisenhower talks with the guys before they crossed the Channel.

512px-Eisenhower_d-day.jpg

He knew the action could very well fail - and had already written his remarks taking full responsibility if that had happened.

Tom M.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
One of my favorite Invasion photos. Eisenhower talks with the guys before they crossed the Channel.

View attachment 54028

He knew the action could very well fail - and had already written his remarks taking full responsibility if that had happened.

Tom M.

Both of those situations depicted in the movie "Ike" starring Tom Selleck. I think I'll watch that again today.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
My Dad was a 23yr old electrician on LST264 (Landing Ship Tank...also known as Large Slow Target). His diary entry for June 6th 1944: "D day - Landed troops on coast of France" then after a line I can't make out because he heavily crossed it out, he wrote "20 minutes before H hour."

Here's a photo of LST264 high and dry in September 1944. It was built in Ambridge, Pa. After the war it was sold to a company that made it into a barge.

T6BQYAYLKG32PZAE2FZ3BNLUXE.jpg

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
No matter how many movies I see or books I read on D-Day i never cease to be amazed at the courage of the liberators or enormity and complexity of the plan. When I was a kid in the 50s, we just took it for granted as just something that happened, but on reaching adulthood I came to realize how complicated it all was and what a good chance it all had of failing.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I was 15 years old my dad took me to Southern France to show me where he came up on the beach. He had vivid memories of the day but alas I was not adult enough to take in all that he was trying to convey to me at the time. :frown-new:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Today's date marks the anniversary of my Ol' Fella's arrival on the beach. With an anti-aircraft gun crew. He made it all the way to the Ruhr before an 88 round came close enough to knock him out of the gun mount. Spent the "duration" in England, recovering.

When I was about 14 he handed me a copy of "Mein Kampf" with the statement: "Read this and find out how a real sonofabitch thinks."

Much admiration and respect for those who made that Channel crossing and faced uncertain futures. We owe them.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Truly appropriate that they are known as "the greatest generation." I wonder if we could have the fortitude to do that today.