• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An architect's sketch book

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The story the architect never told, about his life before living in England.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-42283531

Kyrzgyzstan 1942

_99175528_f8be2d9a-3e7a-4f66-b5c9-43768cdf22e9.jpg

Attachments

• _99175529_93ca08af-16df-4421-95c3-8a09aaf89cfb.jpg
    _99175529_93ca08af-16df-4421-95c3-8a09aaf89cfb.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 16

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom, Thanks for posting that... I truly enjoyed reading his story. There are many, many more just like that. If you ever get the chance to visit the Holocaust Museum I highly recommend it; man's inhumanity to man in one building. :blue:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is fantastic Tom. While I was visiting the museum many years ago we were approached by a volunteer tour guide (an elder lady).
She asked if we "enjoyed" the museum. We got talking to her and she asked if I had seen the Holocaust uniform on the wall when exiting the elevator on one of the floors.
I told her "yes" I had remembered it. She then went on to tell me it belonged to her late husband. When he was liberated he weighed about 85 pounds... at that time he was a man in his 20's. He had buried the uniform on a farm and since he wanted to retrieve it one day so he could "show it to the world". She went on to say that after he got out of the hospital he went back and dug it up and it now hangs in the museum.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mum-in-law has written of her life at the time, as a child, running with family from both Russians and Nazis in Yugoslavia. She went to England, met and married Mitsy's dad, they found their way to the US in '58.

Much admiration and respect for all who survived that era and all its villains.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Last night we watched 3 hrs of what the bad guys did to civilians with military of various countries included. The total numbers were higher than I could ever have dreamed. The younger generation could learn a lot from this and appreciate what they have more than they do. I'll leave out the details, you know the rest of the story. :disgust: PJ

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I am humbled. We know of the Holocaust but not so much about the personal stories. We must never forget and we must never let others forget. Thanks for this post.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Judy. Back in the 1970s I worked for the Social Security Administration in Chicago. Proof of age is one of the *big* pieces of evidence needed when someone files for retirement or Medicare.

A gentleman came to my office to apply for Medicare at age 65. He was born in Germany, and came to the USA after the war. I asked for his birth certificate, but he said all his papers were lost in the war. He showed me his driver's license with his date of birth, but I needed something earlier. I asked if he had any identification made before he left Europe.

He rolled up his sleeve and showed me the number tattooed on his arm.

This must never again happen.

Tom M.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Hi Judy. Back in the 1970s I worked for the Social Security Administration in Chicago. Proof of age is one of the *big* pieces of evidence needed when someone files for retirement or Medicare.

A gentleman came to my office to apply for Medicare at age 65. He was born in Germany, and came to the USA after the war. I asked for his birth certificate, but he said all his papers were lost in the war. He showed me his driver's license with his date of birth, but I needed something earlier. I asked if he had any identification made before he left Europe.

He rolled up his sleeve and showed me the number tattooed on his arm.

This must never again happen.

Tom M.

Oh my. Such an incident that never leaves a person’s memory.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Dang Tom. I just choked up a bit when I read your post.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Dang Tom. I just choked up a bit when I read your post.

The feelings are mutual. Nothing in World history bothers me more. Sin of it all, it's still happening on a smaller scale to other ethnic groups in various parts of the World today!