• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Son's Alfa repair

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Sonny Boy's '92 Alfa developed a stalling problem. He had it towed to Luciano in Miami. Seems a $600 air flow sensor had developed a leak. Luciano fixes it for $175 by filing down a part so that it opens and closes. He said the $600 part would eventually fail just like the last one. Now my son is lucky. He has a "Luciano" down there who knows these cars inside and out and is neither incompetent or a crook. What do I have? A couple of friends who are knowledgeable and help me with the heavy lifting, but when the day comes - sooner if not later since my TR6 has about 104K miles - and I will need a complete engine overhaul - where do I take it? My regular mechanic is competent and honest but inexperienced with Trumph's. The British car guy around here IMHO is incompetent and sloppy. I wouldn't trust him to change an air filter. I have had more damage done to my foreign cars through the years by so-called mechanics - and had to pay plenty $$$ in the bargain. That's why I learned how to do it myself many moons ago. The so-called technicians around here are just replacement artists. You're lucky if you live in a part of the country where there are still wrench guys who know what they're doing and don't charge you an arm and a leg - e.g. Fantom Works - to set our cars right. Comments invited.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
They aren't that hard to do yourself - clean and methodical.

In my club in Orlando one of the senior members would work on other people's cars for free - just to keep his hand in and because his ran fine and he didn't feel like buying any more projects.

In this day and age, shipping to someone like Hap in North Carolina is not that hard - especially if you can't find someone close.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you don't want to do it yourself, my suggestion would be that regular mechanic. There's nothing 'magic' about a TR6 motor (and no $600 parts). It still won't be cheap, tho. Lotta hours times whatever his shop rate is; plus all the machining that has to be sent out.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
X2 with Randall and the guy you trust, if you don't want to tackle it.

Having said that, these are quite simple engines to work on. If you have a good machine shop, and are comfortable trying it on your own (maybe with some help here and from your knowledgeable friends), the satisfaction from starting an engine you built can't be bought!

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
To my knowledge, there are no machine shops left in this part of CT. Restrictive zoning didn't help. There are a couple of so-called restorers opened up in the last few years but they cater to the 1% and charge accordingly. And there is always F40 Motorsports in Portland, upstate - our old pal Wayne Carini. I'm sure he's not cheap either and from what I've heard, your car will sit for a long time before he gets around to working on it. I found a great shop in Englewood, Florida - High Gear Automotive - but that's a long way off. Everything is more expensive here. Honda dealer here quoted $1,200.00 for a new timing belt and water pump on my old V6 Honda. Had it done by dealer in Venice, Florida for about $750.00. Unless you're ordering pizza or a souvlaki chicken salad from the local Greek pizza joint, you can't get out of a restaurant here for less than $40 with one drink. Take the wife along and it's $80.00 plus.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
To my knowledge, there are no machine shops left in this part of CT. Restrictive zoning didn't help. There are a couple of so-called restorers opened up in the last few years but they cater to the 1% and charge accordingly. And there is always F40 Motorsports in Portland, upstate - our old pal Wayne Carini. I'm sure he's not cheap either and from what I've heard, your car will sit for a long time before he gets around to working on it. I found a great shop in Englewood, Florida - High Gear Automotive - but that's a long way off. Everything is more expensive here. Honda dealer here quoted $1,200.00 for a new timing belt and water pump on my old V6 Honda. Had it done by dealer in Venice, Florida for about $750.00. Unless you're ordering pizza or a souvlaki chicken salad from the local Greek pizza joint, you can't get out of a restaurant here for less than $40 with one drink. Take the wife along and it's $80.00 plus.
.... Fairfield county

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
AKA the Gold Coast. I was born here and grew up here, but it's not the town I grew up in and hasn't been in years.New apartment buildings going up every month with rents as high as $3,800.00/month for a one-bedroom apartment, mostly filled by young people from New York and retired old folks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Glad to learn your son took his car to Auto Veloce. Luciano is a friend and indeed knows the cars well. As for a shop for the TR6 and that you're in the northeast, I've no good suggestion. I know some Porsche and Ferrari guys in the area but no old English car shops. Ten years ago I'd have suggested our shop in Sarasota. But that's gone now. Time for us to catch up on our own projects. I'll ask some pals "up there" for suggestions, though.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AKA the Gold Coast. I was born here and grew up here, but it's not the town I grew up in and hasn't been in years.New apartment buildings going up every month with rents as high as $3,800.00/month for a one-bedroom apartment, mostly filled by young people from New York and retired old folks.
I grew up on North Shore Long Island. I feel the same... every time I go back I feel like an alien. English is rarely heard and the entire downtown has changed dramatically to serve the new populous.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, Doc. I have to say these are good sturdy engines. Mine has only broken down once in 22 years and that was right here in my driveway and due to a spark jumping from the coil terminal to the fuel line as I posted a few months ago. IMHO, the only bad thing on these TR6s is that cobbled-up rear suspension. They should have increased the spring travel a la Alfa or Fiat Spider and stuck with the solid axle.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Done my share of TR rear hubs, they work great when they are in good nick. When they start getting worn it's hammers and drift punches, slide hammers and hydraulic press.

A true PITA.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Follow up post. Condo rules changed and my son can't leave a car in the driveway, on the street or in the club parking lot. Rules are enforced by condo commandos. He and his wife have 3 cars, so he is parting reluctantly with his Alfa, just when it's finally running perfectly. I offered to store it in my garage if he ships it up here, or alternatively, to buy it from him if we can agree on a price. He may decide to sell it down there. Condos are not for everybody.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
It's a 1992 Spider. Green. Power windows, a/c - a far cry from the earlier ones. Even the notorious 2nd gear synchromesh is ok provided you don't hurry the shift. In a related note, my plumber was here today for a repair job. He owned a 164, black. Could not get anyone to work on it, especially the a/c, so he sold it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A lifelong friend moved off of Boca Grande and bought a home in Englewood because there was no place to park more than the two primary cars. Condo rules. :pukeface:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Never having lived in a dense urban environment I do not understand the behaviors of many people, as such I cannot comprehend these restrictive rules that some communities try to enforce. I also don't understand people who willingly submit to living in such an oppressive locale. I reckon that if you are paying your rent, mortgage, etc. and keeping the property half way presentable you should be allowed to do with your property as you wish.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Walt - I think that's actually the problem. If you pay your mortgage or rent, you can do pretty much what you want to with you property.

But a condo or apartment doesn't give you much flex in using the *common* parts of the property that you don't own alone.

Old saying: You can have freedom or you can have security. But the more you get of one, the less you have of the other.

TM

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I would also add, as someone who did live in a neighbourhood which had similar regulations that we gladly submitted to the regulations in large part because our neighbours had to as well. There (Florida) you paid a small monthly fee, all common areas were beautifully kept and the neighbourhood itself looked neat - which impacted our (and everyone else's) home prices.

While we love the eighbourhood we currently live in - here the next door house is a rental - plants growing out of the eaves - not painted in a decade - the lawn literally wasn't mowed this year until August. Which makes our house look shabby. So, as we just heard, you give some, you get some - I prefer to live in a neigbourhood where there is pride of ownership - even if it is enforced.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Reasonable regulations - yes. Some are oppressive.Where I rent in Florida, there are about 10 separate HOAs, all with different rules. For example, in some, you can't have a dog over 40 lbs, in others 20 pounds. In many communities, commercial vehicles must be garaged at all times, including pickup trucks, and no boat trailers or boats may be stored on the premises.