• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Alternators....

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
A red wire had come off the alternator. I just discovered the problem. Apparently I've been running the car fo ra few days like this. Running off the battery I guess. Can this ruin an alternator? My dash voltmeter is no longer showing a reading. There are two wires coming off the alternator,a red and a white. The issue was the red wire was not making a firm connection because it is in such a tight spot at the fender I could not push it on securely. In order to get a good connection I ended up removing the alternator. Re installed everything but not not getting a 14.5 when engine is running.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Update... I switched the red and white wires and am now getting the 14.5 on a spare genric voltmeter that I hooked up to the battery. The Smiths voltmeter in the dash still isn't working. What is the best way to test that one?