• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back yard screech owl

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
At breakfast yesterday we noticed this little fellow about 12 feet up in a pine tree in our back yard. From the house couldn't be sure whether he was a bird or just some clutter fallen from the pecan trees next door. Went out and walked all around the base of the tree and he didn't move except to keep an eye on me. So I took a couple of photos that turned out not clear enough due to the long zoom. Finally middle of the afternoon I got the tripod out and got this photo and a few more on 12 power zoom. The little guy just sat there watching me. Apparently he is fearless or maybe knows I'm too old to climb a tree. Finally just at dark he took off probably looking for a mouse for dinner. My neighbor a a pretty good bird guy. He thinks it is an Eastern Screech Owl. He showed me some photos and it sure looks right.

Attachments

• Owl_s.jpg
    Owl_s.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 58

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
That's very cool.
We have Barred owls in woods behind our house.
built them a house, & hung it high in a tree, but on squirrels have lived in it.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Long ways back, my brother and I were camping with our Grandpa near a switchback in a creek on his farm, in Indiana. There was a tall tree with the top blown out above the creek. We were in a sandy area between the creek water and the bluff. About 9:00PM we heard this shriek, so loud, my brother took off running for the house, which is pretty far way for running at night. Shined a light up at the stump, there she was. Pretty little Screech Owl. Screamed a couple more times before it took off. Brother came back, when he realized there were things in the path on the way back to the house, after he fell a few times.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Owls
The perfect winged hunter
They are natures most stealth hunters.
There feathers are shaped to allow them to fly silent
They can pull there wings up in a position to drop on there pry with incredible amounts of force.
Very very cool bird

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yes, owls are really cool. This is the closest I have ever been to one. Still surprised that he never left that spot from before 8:00 am until after sunset. Also he showed so little interest in my activity so close to him.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
ยกLa Lechuza!

When I served a congregation in McMinnville, Tenn., I started a Hispanic ministry with a small contingent of Mexican families. Absolutely lovely folks and I was privileged to be a part of their unique culture.

The experience was also full of unexpected turns: Very late one night I was awakened by a phone call; it was the mom of one of the families who was obviously very upset. They wanted me to come to their house ยกAHORA MISMO! as they had heard an owl and wanted me to come and do a house blessing to keep them from harm from the "bruja" (witch). I made my way over there and went throughout the house reciting the appropriate prayer for them, and then all was well. After the ceremony we had champurrado (hot chocolate) and I went home. Never did get back to sleep... As Spock would say, "Fascinating."

For inquiring minds: https://www.scaryforkids.com/lechuza/

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I hear owls occasionally here in Santa Monica, which surprises me a little due to the human population density. A couple years ago, I took this shot of a hawk about the same 12' distance that you did. This was one of the adults that raised 3 young ones across the street from me. The branch it is sitting on is about 3" thick to give a little scale.

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Greg that hawk sure has an eye on you.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
This fellow was a "rescue" owl at Albuquerque Open Spaces. He is being kept because he has a damaged eye and thus unable to hunt in the wild.

22764607228_bcd6ceaea6_k.jpg

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We just realized something. There were zero birds at the bird feeders yesterday with that owl watching over them. Finally starting to trickle back in about noon today.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
We have Barred Owls and Great Horned Owls. Always cool to see something that big flying at night.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Barred owls have a very unusual call.
sounds something like
"who cooks for me, who cooks for all".

not as weird as a screech owl, but interesting.

and they are not to shy, they will come visit before dusk sometimes.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I saw one barred owl when setting out for a night mountain bike ride in a local park. The owl was facing away from me, but it turned its head around nearly 180 degrees to look at me. Great Horned Owls are more common. When I lived in a condo, there was a Siamese Cat that was the meanest cat ever. It could (and did) take down small rabbits and no dog (including mine) would get near her. One night, I saw her clearly spooked and diving under cars in the parking lot for cover -- overhead a Great Horned Owl was swooping down. That was the only time I ever saw that cat show anything even resembling fear.

Had another Horned Owl swoop down alongside my car one evening and flew formation with my car briefly. That definitely freaks you out until you realize what you're looking at. And, finally, along the Capital Crescent Trail in Bethesda, we were having issues with a Horned Owl swooping down on unsuspecting trail users and stealing their hats or scratching their heads with their talons.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
took my dog out before bed one night to the front yard (on a leash) 'cause we live beside a busy road , when something swooped down just above the dog (Japanese Chin) and all I heard was a swooshing of wings and something came between the trees and flew over the dog and myself at shoulder height. Scared the bejeepers out of me.