• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A long long time ago

Basil

Administrator
Boss
prehistoric_google.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Loved those... and just wandering through libraries discovering things.

Last edited:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'd forgotten about those - now you look up
book locations on the computer.
Before you could get an answer to any question
in seconds,you had to figure things out,& maybe learn
something in the process.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I thought this was where you were going with this:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've got a TV without a remote - quit,after just 6-1/2 years!
Now that I don't have our Granddaughter here to change the channels
for me,I've been forced to order another remote.
I've also got the Microfiche (& viewer) for our Datsun B210.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I always loved wandering through libraries and reading titles on the books, periodically pulling one out to read that sounded interesting. I have always been fascinated by ancient architecture, mainly the highly decorative columns by the Greeks and the Romans. I have accumulated quite a bit of data on their methods of construction. Aside from their skill in carving stone figurines with ancient tooling, they were quite ingenious in building the equipment to raise and construct the beautiful stone buildings of the time, some which have stood the ravages of weather and the attempts of man to destroy them. The aqueduct built by the Romans was the most technological and ingenious invention of the time and a lot of it still stands today. I could talk for hours on this subject, but will end for now. First I've mentioned this for years. PJ

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
During summers, my brother & I would ride our bikes (another forgotten technology; bikes for everyday transportation) to the library & stay for hours.
Perfect place for kids; air conditioned, away from chores with Mom's approval.
With only 4 channels on TV , the library filled the information gap.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
During summers, my brother & I would ride our bikes (another forgotten technology; bikes for everyday transportation) to the library & stay for hours.

Yes! Exactly my thoughts. And with the library, you actually used your brain to winnow down the choices to what you need. You didn't assume whatever popped up at the top of the Search Results list was the ultimate answer.

grumble grumble

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag

I'm happy to say, our library is well used by the kids. A 20 minute walk, plus a backpack for a stack of new books.