• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

not surprised at alll

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
It is a bit funny of how many "features" new cars have that are now perceived as necessary across all makes and models: Bluetooth, remote entry, GPS, ABS, traction control, power everything...and then you hop into an LBC and see just how little you actually need. I find driving the Sprite quite liberating because you don't have to think about all the so-called modern conveniences automobiles offer. The purity of the LBC driving experience is cathartic in a world where the human element is being removed from just about everything.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I hate it that you almost can't find a new car WITHOUT a big honking screen
in the middle of the dash.I'd pay extra to buy one without it.
When we rented a car a few years ago,I had to read the owner's manual to be
able to operate the radio,& the heat/AC systems.
After renting a Nissan Sentra (it was White,like a refridgerator should be),
I had to go drive our '67 MGB GT,to remind me that driving a car is fun.
The Sentra was a machine - NOT a car.

Country flag
And how many of these so called necessary features are things you shouldn't use as you drive anyway due to distraction. I read once that you can now update Facebook through OnStar as you drive. Why?? A sincere desire to find yourself under the truck trailer in front of you?? My current utility transportation has nothing more exotic than an AM/FM radio and AC, so no serious distractions while headed down the road to work.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Reason I like old vehicles. Newest vehicle here is a 2005, it still only has only 40,000 miles on it as it never gets driven. My pickup is a 93 which I bought new. Wife wants me to get a new one, I'll keep what I have. I don't need or want all the junk in the new ones. I think for myself, no need for someone else to do it for me. PJ

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
My only car is a 2009 Hyundai Accent 5-speed, it has no power features, I have to wind my own windows and I can't automatically open my hatchback (not a big deal), just a basic radio and no specific provision for GPS (I don't care!), I prefer to navigate using a paper road map, is that old fashioned?

And I still have a car key, I haven't installed remote start and again I don't care... I'm certain that in a few years the idea of using a key to start a car will be old fashioned and unheard of...

And I think I may have brought up the subject before, I don't want a car that parks for me or drives for me...

Okay, rant over, my car isn't a classic and is fairly new but it is quite simple still and I like that... And it gets me around on my photo adventures quite well

16552736121_f90245a436.jpg

number6

Jedi Trainee
Let's not forget all the new tech. Are you watching the car or is the car watching you. I don't like the idea the police can disable your car via Onstar and such. I find that the
new cars are just as distracting with all the screens and other stuff, that it doesn't make it different than texting. Most modern car I have is a 2004 X-Type, and I find it daunting enough
just to set the radio.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
OTOH, I'm thrilled with my backup camera which contains a warning light and beeps to warn of cross-traffic approaching from left or right; the blind-spot warning light in my door mirrors when a car is in the blind spot (how many times have you changed lanes only to have the car on your left blind spot blast his horn?) and the green, yellow and red marks on the backup camera that lets you know exactly how close you are when backing up. I think you can retrofit one and I think all cars should have them. Every year someone backs over a kid or something else. I also have Bluetooth connectivity so if I get a cell phone call, I never touch my phone but hit the on button and just talk like I'm speaking to a passenger. Not necessary but a safety feature and nice to have if you're still in business as I am. I also installed a compass mirror which comes in handy when driving in a strange area at night. I don't have a built-in GPS because I still use a 6-year old portable Garmin. Besides, a friend had a GPS go bad in his Camry and the replacement cost was $4,000.00. He bought a new car instead. Except for the backup feature, I don't look at the screen at all. I change radio stations by a button on the steering wheel - same for the cruise control.