• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

healey list

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Last message I got was from Michael Oritt 15 hours ago. The list is like an old Healey. Even though new models have come out with better features, it's tough to let go. I made lots of friends through the Healey and Spridget list from around the world I never would've know if Mark didn't start them up. They made a big impact on how we interacted. No reason you can't do both.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Last message I got was from Michael Oritt 15 hours ago. The list is like an old Healey. Even though new models have come out with better features, it's tough to let go. I made lots of friends through the Healey and Spridget list from around the world I never would've know if Mark didn't start them up. They made a big impact on how we interacted. No reason you can't do both.

Totally agree with the above. I get the digest and last one was May 26, Volume 8 Issue 149.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Country flag
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
healeys-request@autox.team.net
That sounds so simple...

In the past fifteen (+15) years or so, I have tried to subscribe numerous times, but was never able to get on the list myself. I don't know, maybe it doesn't like my AOL browser, but pretty sure I tried IE, maybe even Firefox too; it was just never meant to be.

I have to go with Reid on this one: wish they'd all just come to here (especially since I've never mastered getting to there...).

For the sake of its avid followers, I hope they get their server/hosting issues sorted out soon (hopeful they're not using a Lucas or Smiths server...)!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That sounds so simple...

In the past fifteen (+15) years or so, I have tried to subscribe numerous times, but was never able to get on the list myself.

Randy, truth is we had a vote ... :devilgrin:

You raise a good point. The list doesn't like AOL and Yahoo accounts. Using a Gmail account to subscribe works best. Like I said, it's like an old Healey with all its own idiosyncrasies.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have to go with Reid on this one: wish they'd all just come to here (especially since I've never mastered getting to there...).

Randy--

We all DO come here--or at least most of us. But some of us go there too!
The biggest difference is that with this forum I have to call it whereas with the email list it calls me.
Since there are some people whose input I value who go THERE and do not come HERE I like and visit both each day.
Could be an AOL thing but given what great work you do to your cars I am sure you can master subscribing to autox.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The biggest difference, aside from the personnel, is that with this forum I have to "call it" whereas with the email list it "calls me".

Hi Michael,
I think that is psychological. If (and I don't) BCF is set as your homepage on your browser, it would be the same amount of clicks of the mouse to get Healey info delivered. Launch the program, boom. With the RSS feeds here, you could even set up a widget on your desktop to see new posts. The list finally turned on photos earlier this year, so that is a plus.
My biggest beef is the delivery of posts happens only every couple hours on the list.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Greg--

I tend to equate receiving emails with answering a ringing phone and posting to this list with making a phone call.
Of course it is "psychological" and of no import.

It is interesting to me that whereas this forum is quite vital to the Healey community and gets probably as much use as the Healey autox list, another BCF forum which I visit regularly--"racing"--gets hardly any use at all. There are a few other forums and email for us racers--the best one I have found is the Motorsports forum of the "MG Experience". Though most contributors and lurkers own and race either MGA's, B's or "spridgets"--I am a member of that group by virtue of my MGA-powered Elva Courier--the real interest is racing and they are very inclusive and more than tolerant of discussions relating to general racing issues (tires, transponders, handling setup, etc. etc).

BTW there is also a Healey-related "Experience" forum but I don't think I have ever visited it. After all, how many times can we discuss the same stuff over and over and over--I mean how long can it take to beat to death and get settled once and for all the subject of, let's say, "Solid state versus points"? (Ummm--let me rethink that one....)

Country flag
Randy, truth is we had a vote ... :devilgrin:

You raise a good point. The list doesn't like AOL and Yahoo accounts. Using a Gmail account to subscribe works best. Like I said, it's like an old Healey with all its own idiosyncrasies.
LOL, that was funny!

Thanks for confirming that, because I thought I was doing it right...

Randy--

We all DO come here--or at least most of us. But some of us go there too!
The biggest difference is that with this forum I have to call it whereas with the email list it calls me.
Since there are some people whose input I value who go THERE and do not come HERE I like and visit both each day.
Could be an AOL thing but given what great work you do to your cars I am sure you can master subscribing to autox.
Yes, I expected that most probably do come here__if only to look at the pictures ;)

Your analogy helped me to understand the format, thank you! Truth is, I couldn't stand to get any more E-mails than I already do; I easily get >100/week for the BMW stuff (most are asking about either the trunkfloor kits, or "when" can I work on their cars, but some are asking about how to fix unrelated problems). Next vacation I take, really needs to be someplace where there's no internet service :cheers:

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The differences go far beyond "making a call" and "answering the phone," although that's an important difference. Rather than find your email inbox crammed with numerous messages on various subjects, when you come here everything is organized.

For a big difference, there is a Moderator here, so that inappropriate posts can be deleted. Posters can be banned. Messages with profanity, racism, general personal insults, a commercial nature or just plain spam can be deleted. I've been Moderator here for 15 years, so perhaps you can imagine that I've seen it all and dealt with it all. There is a Notify Moderator button here so that you can easily report such posts and bring them to my attention for quick action. It doesn't get used much, but when it does I take care of the issue and most of you never know there was an issue.

For another big difference, threads stay organized here, all under one link. And not only are they all together, but they're conveniently arranged in chronological order. No need to search the archives and get a mish-mash of messages from different threads that may or may not include what you were looking for.

Would you rather save dozens, scores, hundreds of emails, or have a single website where everything is always ready and organized for you?

For yet another difference, you can post images here. Messages sent to the Healeys Mail List strip away attached images, forcing you to post them online somewhere, and then link to them. And they may not be there in the future as URLs get deleted or changed.

You can have a snappy signature line here, complete with a photo if you like.

There is so much more here than just this one forum. Check out the forum list and note that there are classified ads, activities lists, "The Pub" for general discussions, humor, motorcycles, etc.

I understand the reluctance "to change," and the Healeys Mail List appeared before the British Car Forum, so there are some who are happy in their rut no matter the comparative features. And some just relish playing the role of contrarian and insisting that their rotary-dial desk phone is just as good (or better!) than a smart phone. And there's nothing wrong with having options, but I think by any objective standard, we'd all be better off if we pooled our efforts in the superior medium. (But I also realize that given human nature, it will never happen. Now where'd I put that hand crank - must start the car for the drive to work...)

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Truth is, I couldn't stand to get any more E-mails than I already do; I easily get >100/week for the BMW stuff
Hi Randy,
In my email program, I set up a separate folder for the Healey list so anything that comes from there gets put in that folder keeping it away from my other emails. Maybe you could do that for the BMW stuff.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In my email program, I set up a separate folder for the Healey

G Mail lets you do that too.

Country flag
Hi Randy,
In my email program, I set up a separate folder for the Healey list so anything that comes from there gets put in that folder keeping it away from my other emails. Maybe you could do that for the BMW stuff.
That's a good idea, I'll have to explore that! Obviously, I'd still have to keep an eye on it, since they're primarily from individual__human__sources, I would have to use filters, pertinent to the work I do (like trunkfloor, subframe and failure) rather than an "all E-mails from this address go here" type of thing.

I know the list predates my involvement with computers and the internet (year 2000 in both cases) and when it was conceived, it was the first step towards the banding of people with like interests together. I'm sure it paved the way for forums like this one (I will say that in 2000, some bulletin boards were still archaic by today's standards__looks like even roadfly.com finally switched their format) and for that, we all benefitted by it.

For all the virtues that Reid listed in post #17, I hope that this format lasts through my involvement with the cars (and other interests, God knows there's a forum for everything theses days) as I sure don't want to be thrown in the deep end of the pool again__I might just drown the next time!