• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

150 years ago today

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
image014.jpg

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/how-the-world-mourned-lincoln/390465/

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Marian Hooper traveled from Boston to Washington in late May, making her way to the boardinghouse across the street from Ford’s Theater, to which the fatally wounded president had been carried on the night of April 14, and where he had remained unconscious in a cramped back bedroom until he died the next morning.

Worked in the parlor of that house run by the Parks department in 1979. After we were done we were treated to a up close tour of the house.
Even got to get up close to the bed and room
Still has an effect to this day

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Would like to see that area in Ford's Theater. Was too crowded last time I was there and we settled for a visit to the Peterson House across the street (where he died in a rather small room).

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I *think* I remember reading that Lincoln originally didn't plan to go to the theater that night because his wife felt ill. But U.S. Grant, who was also supposed to attend, couldn't make it, so Lincoln felt he should attend after all, to represent the government.

Also, I *think* I remember reading that a week before the assassination, Lincoln was to attend a different theater, but changed his mind at the last minute. And J.W. Booth was waiting for him at that theater too.

I grew up in Lincoln, IL....the only town in the nation named for Lincoln before he became famous.....Abe actually christened the town with a watermelon.

He (and most of his family) is buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield, IL (about 25 miles south of Lincoln on Route 66).

I highly recommend O'Reilly's book, "Killing Lincoln".

Killing Lincoln.jpg

"Other than that, Mrs.Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
And.... 113 years ago today (April 14, 1912) the Titanic struck the iceberg. It actually sank early in the morning on the 15th.
ALSO.... 1935. the worst recorded dust storm in history struck the Midwest. "Black Sunday"
April 14th sometimes is called "ruination day"

Here's Lincoln's original tomb...and the tomb where is is now resting. Both in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield, IL.

His original tomb was the scene of a post-mortem kidnapping attempt. He is now buried in and under about 6' of concrete in the "new" tomb.

Lincoln Original Tomb.jpgLincoln Original Tomb.jpgLincoln Tomb.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Happy Chandler was named second baseball commissioner?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Basil

Administrator
Boss
And.... 113 years ago today (April 14, 1912) the Titanic struck the iceberg. It actually sank early in the morning on the 15th.
ALSO.... 1935. the worst recorded dust storm in history struck the Midwest. "Black Sunday"
April 14th sometimes is called "ruination day"

And Happy Birthday Bessy Smith!

I drove to Springfield today and watched the reenactment of Lincoln's funeral procession from the old capital to Oak Ridge Cemetery. Very solemn...very quiet. The sound of horses hooves and the beat of a parade drum beating cadence which Civil War reenactors' boots matched. A well done replica of the hearse which carried Lincoln's body to his (first) grave; buggies with Mary Todd Lincoln, the pastor, and military officers....all followed by "townsfolk" (men, women, and children) which walked the (approximate) two miles to the cemetery. I felt like I was there. Really there. Lincoln Funeral Reenactment Camp-Oak Ridge Cemetery.jpgLincoln Funeral Hearse.jpgLincoln First Tomb.jpgLincoln Tomb - Oak Ridge Cemetery.jpgLincoln Tombstone.jpg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Rick - thanks for posting this. If it was so moving in re-enactment, I can't imagine how awful it was when it actually happened. The funeral procession of a man who had to deal with such huge problems and such personal tragedies, but who was cut down just as they began to get resolved.

Tom

And I ran into this "Company" at a pub in downtown Springfield just before the procession began....

20150503_112910.jpg Pub Company_1.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I saw an article once on building that replica hearse of Lincolns, can't remember where, think it was on TV, but that coach has many intricate features and very professionally done. PJ