• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ZDDP Additive from Eastwood

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have two bottles of ZDDP from Moss sitting on my workbench.

Kind of like buying copious amounts of milk, bread and toilet paper before what turns out to be a five inch snow storm.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Brosky said:
I have two bottles of ZDDP from Moss sitting on my workbench.

Kind of like buying copious amounts of milk, bread and toilet paper before what turns out to be a five inch snow storm.

The sky IS falling, you know! :wink:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My wife kept saying, "Step away from the order button, Paul, just slowly step away, but I couldn't help myself."

And then along came Rotella Triple T and about 10 threads with Synthetic information and there they now sit, all alone in the dark, just waiting for their time.............

And before I ruin this thread for TR4, no I do not know about the Eastwood ZDDP, only the Moss brand.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry, not trying to be cynical, but I'm not convinced it's as big a problem as it's being made out to be.

For example, check this article out - scroll down about halfway to where it says: "The Zinc Question". Interesting reading that squares with another article I posted here on the Forum a while back, but can't locate at the moment.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/1...A_Negative.html

Quoting: "However - and this is the important part to remember - available research shows that more zinc does not give you more protection, it merely prolongs the protection if the rate of metal-to-metal contact is abnormally high or extended. So unless you plan on spending a couple of hours dragging your knee at Laguna Seca, adding extra zinc compounds to your oil is usually a waste. Also, keep in mind that high zinc content can lead to deposit formation on your valves, and spark plug fouling." The article is about motorcycles, which typically turn higher RPM than our cars, so I would think we're covered.

For the record, I'm using Shell Rotella in my TR8; it has a larger percentage of ZDDP.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'll think I'll run Olive oil in the 6 when I start it up. At least the exhaust will smell nice.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
... no I do not know about the Eastwood ZDDP, only the Moss brand.

I bought the ZDDPlus from Moss. It is the same as what Eastwood is offering.

As far as whether or not the ZDDP is neccessary, there is just too much evidence out there that when the levels were lowered, the cam problems started on flat tappet cams. I find it prudent to at least restore the ZDDP levels to where they were before the oil companies started eliminating it. It might be true that too much is no good, but putting back what was once there will not be hurting anything that it didn't hurt before. The reason for initially putting the zinc and phosphorous in the oil was so those elements would be the sacraficial wear items rather then the cam lobes and tappets. I'll use the stuff, and worry less.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Not if it smells like the converted Benz that I pulled behind that used restaurant cooking oil in it. PEE-UUU!!!!!!!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
there is just too much evidence out there that when the levels were lowered, the cam problems started on flat tappet cams.
Guess I missed that Art, can you amplify a bit ? I started hearing about lifter/cam problems oh, maybe 5 YEARS before they lowered the ZDDP levels in motor oil.

Even bought my kit from BFE to use Ford lifters before they lowered the ZDDP in motor oil ...

G

Don't know about you guys but I am running Valvoline Racing VR1 with ZDDP from now on instead of the venerable Castrol. Ain't taking any more chances after my last fiasco.

humanoid

Doesn't adding ZDDP foul up the catalytic converter as well?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
humanoid said:
Doesn't adding ZDDP foul up the catalytic converter as well?

Yep - that's why the levels were lowered. Not an issue with our older cars.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Attachments

• 11678.jpg
    11678.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 254

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What about the 8o's and 90's vintage V-8 as in the wedges?

Castrol SYNTEC 20w-50 Motor Oil
Classic & Vintage Vehicles that Qualify
Pre–1949 1949 — 1961 1962 — 1973
► Historic
Restoration ► Historic
Restoration ► Historic
Restoration
► Hot Rods ► Customs ► Muscle Cars
► Street Rods ► Rat Rods ► Pony Cars
► Customs
► Pro Street
► Pro Touring

Well the format came thru on the preview screen.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Don,

I have the link posted above and 12 quarts sitting in the garage.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Plan on using it for the 6 but is it a big deal in our V-8 Wedgies??

R

RonMacPherson

ZDDP CAN foul up the catalytic convertor. IF you are burning oil... That is why the EPA went to the API to have them reformulate the oil, in other words do away with ZDDP.

Now modern day oils have different additives that work to prevent wear on modern engines. But costwise ZDDP was found to be the most effective anti-wear additive for flat tappet engines.

Hot Rod did an article a couple of years ago about cam destruction on newly built engines running on non-ZDDP oil.

I myself have seen well over 100 Ford 4.0L sohc V-6's that were in the USPS delivery vans experience severe accelerated wear due to the oil not being capable of fulfilling the needs of heavy duty usage. And a number of 4.6L V-8's(later explorer) suffer the same type of wear..

IATN(International Automotive Technicians Network) has a member who is a forensic engineer who did an article on oil formulations a couple of years ago. He stated that for modern design engines that modern oils are capable. But he did not offer an opinion on early design(which is what we've got) engines and which oils to use in them.

Yamaha motorcycle company still includes the "full load" of ZDDP in their Yamalube oils and I'm sure other motorcycle oil companies do also.... Why? IT WORKS.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
You'll always find some excuse won't ya :lol: for just the sake of argument because its the timely thing to do right.WELL we really don't know if it works right.The other day i changed the oil in my Spit with Castrol Syntax 20/50 with a bottle of ZDDP.And i'm not arguing.,I just feel better! protected....I have to much expense wrapped up in WHITELIGHTNING NOT TO.Cheers Mates. :savewave: :winner1:
Ken

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Ken,

First rule of car ownership:

If it makes you happy, then do it!

I'm happy to see that another Triumph Brother is on the Castrol Syntec band wagon.