• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Youtube...Finished my 2nd video....007 Healey

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
It's showtime!

Well guys, I thought I put together another video showing some of the new stuff I've been adding to the 'Winchester Healey"...Greg's pet name for my car. Ya know Greg, I'm starting to like that name. I've never named any of my cars. Your name sort of fits....except aren't we suppose to give our cars female titles?

Okay, back on track here. Here's the link, if curious, to my 2nd Healey video. Note: under the bottom right of the video, you may see, "watch in high quality". Makes quite an improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cocwJNQOGVA

Cheers,
Roger

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
What fun! And nice ending to the video - what a privilege you have to continue your dad's adventure.

Thanks for posting this!

Mickey

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
You did a really good job hiding that stuff! I particularly like the cup holders! Normally there's nothing I'd want froma modern car in my vintage ones, short of a cup holder (try driving an old Studebaker and hold your coffee at the same time!).

Now, where's the ejector sat and the missiles?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
It doesn't surprise me that you craft well thought out videos also. I think that might be a trademark of Roger. I liked how the video was timed for the Bond solo as the garage door closed and the interior lights came on. BTW it was Sarah who made the Winchester mansion famous, so no conflict there. For some reason, my dad named my car Oscar. Go figure.

LEERIVAS

Fantastic Video...The really impressive part is viewing all of the upgrades you added while still keeping the originality of the Healey design.

Am I to believe that you did this without upgrading to an alternator?

I'm still rebuilding my 60 BT7, which I've had in in my garage since 1971, to it's original "splendor" and must decide whether to go negative ground and whether to "upgrade" to an alternator.

Does anyone know if it's technologically possible to "gut" the generator and replace it with a small alternator?

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Roger, VERY impressive but I could not help noticing you do not use shoulder harness??? (or did I miss something?)

Hello TH,
Thank you for you're compliment.
I do not use a shoulder harness.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
LEERIVAS said:
Fantastic Video...The really impressive part is viewing all of the upgrades you added while still keeping the originality of the Healey design.

Am I to believe that you did this without upgrading to an alternator?

I'm still rebuilding my 60 BT7, which I've had in in my garage since 1971, to it's original "splendor" and must decide whether to go negative ground and whether to "upgrade" to an alternator.

Does anyone know if it's technologically possible to "gut" the generator and replace it with a small alternator?

Hello Leerivas,

Thank you for your kind words.
I am fortunate to have two great Healey mechanics in my area. I questioned both of them about changing out the generator to an alternator because of the additions to my car. They both mentioned that it depends on the load or drain I'm putting on my system.

I know both of my mechanics like keeping the car stock. And one of them shakes his head when I say, guess what's new in my Healey. This is the same guy that finds fault because my engine compartment is too clean. Yes, too clean. And he tells me to stop baby-ing the car. I like this guy! Last time I was over there, I said to him, hey I took the Healey out for a spin this morning. I drove it like I stole it! What's his reply? Again, with the head shake. I like this guy!

OK, back to the point about my mechanics like a stock car. As I've mentioned in a lot of my posts and on my Youtube video, what I add, I try to conceal. If it's electrical, how much load will it put on my battery/generator. I like the look of that generator in there. And as my mechanics explained to me, I only need to replace it with an alternator if I put something in the system that draws more than the generator can replace. Other may chime in on this.

An example would be a stereo amplifier. The bigger it is, the more it will drain. I don't have that. I have two sets of computer speakers running my nav/mp3 system. Each set has an amp built into the speaker. Of everything electrical I have added, those draw the most power. Which is hardly anything. Both my mechanics know what I have and say I'm fine. They say the thing to watch for with a generator is when I'm, or anyone with a Healey, is when your running everything. Headlights, heater, windscreen wipers, dash lights, fog lights, stock am radio, directional's for an extended period of time. The generator may not be able to put that load back to the battery. Let's say in a lot of stop and go traffic.

I did change my car to negative ground. It did make adding electrical items, not as much a challenge. Plus, you can not see the change to negative.

"Gut" the generator and replace with a small alternator? Yes, and here is a link to Gener-Nator who makes such a product.

https://www.gener-nator.com/details.htm

Cheers,
Roger

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Roger,

I am more than impressed with all the additions you made and your ideas to accomplish them. I like the hidden features which can be hidden in and under the BJ 8 dash.

Like Mickey wrote you have a privilege and like you wrote yourself to be fortunate and thankful, that you can drive to same car your father did. I can imagine, that memories easily come back will you are busy with or driving the car. Memories are sometimes more worth than gold.

Harry

mjobrien

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Great Looking car, the Engine is really the show stopper! Thanks for sharing this, I got some ideas for the 100.

SMP

Freshman Member
Roger,
“Winchester Healey” would be an appropriate name as the Winchester Mystery House is named for Sarah L. Winchester not her husband, William Wirt Winchester, the son of Oliver Winchester of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company. After William died, his widow, Sarah, whose inheritance brought in about $1,000 daily (with no taxes...), left for California and in 1884, purchased a home, that was under construction and 162 acres in Santa Clara County. For the next 36 years, to keep the “spirits” at bay, Sarah added 20 rooms onto the original 6 room home. My grandfather, who was born in 1876, used to tell us grandchildren that when driving a team of horses and buggy from Campbell to San Jose, the locals would get the horses up to a fast trot when in front of the Winchester house.

https://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/facts.html

Stephen

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey Greg,

I didn't know about Holden. How much is their unit in US price with exchange?

Oh, and congrads on your "Winchester" Healey name. It seems to be a hit with a lot of people here. I think that name should go to you or Lin though. I believe you guys have been adding neat-o stuff long before I got on this ride. Maybe that should be our next post. Who deserves the "Winchester" award.

Cheers,
Roger

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Hi Healyites,

The first conversion of the Lucas Dynamo to an alternator that I came across was from Racemettle in GB. I considered one of their units when doing my restoration several years ago. Decided against it for two reasons: 1. Alternators do go bad unpredictably and there would be no ready source for replacement of the converted unit. 2. Very expensive - $700-$800.

https://racemettleltd.co.uk/dyn.html

That said, the converted unit does look "right" in the engine bay. As I recall (sorry, I didn't check the specs) the output of the converted unit wasn't all that great.

I ended up with a GM Delco unit for about $39 that is ubiquitous. I know it doesn't look right, but oh well. I have a Lucas alternator on my Bugeye. Several Lucas alternators malfunctioned before I found a good rebuild place. The problem doesn't seem to be with the quality of the unit, but with the quality of the rebuilds. The Lucas rebuilt unit I got from this fellow has now worked without a problem for about four years:

https://www.jhps.com/

Lin