• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Your Must-have tools in the trunk [er...boot]

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
Hello all,

Well just wondering what you guys absolutely keep in the trunk at all times. I've been pretty much hauling around a full tool set for now...but it just takes up too much space. What would be the 5 - 10 (or more) tools you would not be caught without?

Maybe you have an "around town" set and another for "road trips only." ??

Joel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Pliers, screwdriver, roll of tape, & four ft. of baling wire.
D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

zimmy

Jedi Knight
and a small socket set, flashlight,fluids, and a gym bag to put it all in... ; )
i put the tools i use all the time in a small toolbox...the whole car seems to only have 4 or 5 bolt sizes.....then i dont have to dig thru the socket bucket!

dont forget a roll of duct tape.

mark

OP
D

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
I got the roll of duct tape.

Zimmy - I'm not that experienced with the Sprite so far...which bolt sizes would you say are most common?

Joel

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
The one most important indispensible tool you can possibly have in the trunk is a 7/16" combination wrench. I have one of the Craftsman ones with the ratcheting box end. It seems like every nut or bolt I ever need to wrench on is a 7/16ths.

JACK

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
baling wire?

[/ QUOTE ]
You must not be a farmer. You can make dozens of repairs with iron wire. It takes the place of brackets, clamps, hangers, bolts, you name it. Lot stronger than duct tape too & won't melt. Lot easier than carrying a suitcase full of parts.
D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
D

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
You must not be a farmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got that right. I grew up in Portland.

I'll look into the bailing wire though. Sounds useful.

Joel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Also called "mechanic's wire." Don't leave home without it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, that cell 'phone substitutes for a LOT of last century's on-board "necessities."

dklawson

Yoda
I've never actually bought true "bailing wire" but the home centers will carry a related product called "soft iron wire". You'll find it on the aisle with the nuts and bolts. It's not as strong as bailing wire but a lot easier to twist without snapping.

I carry a cheap set of disposable tools (the type that come in a blow molded carrying case). When possible I bungie these underneath the seats so they don't take up room in the boot. In addition to the suggestions above, I carry a length of 16 AWG wire and some electrical tape.

I'm the last person in NC who doesn't have a cell phone. If I had one, I'd certainly take it with me in my LBC.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've got a small tool kit I got from Sears that's come in pretty handy a couple of times. It fits neatly in the trunk. Come to think of it, I don't have Vice Grips, duct tape, or baling wire! Better stock up I guess. The cell phone goes with me at all times when I'm driving it though.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
I have a hard plastic(kind of almost rubber box(red box, red car) approx 6x4x10 strapped by a cloth belt on my left wheel skirt. The belt is attached by rivets. In the box I also keep my insurance papers, because I have a garage door controler in the car. I've always wonder what an officer would say when asking for my insurance papers and I'd have to open the hood(bonnet) to get them. Under the belt I also have a set of combo wrenchs. This seems to work and is very accessabe. If you have have a early gen. and travel, that pulley is of poor design(its riveted) and will fail in its old age. That and a belt will get you back on the road. The top rad. hose an a bugeye is unique and I'm pretty sure the last time I replaced it the old one went into the boot. All this reminds me to check the jack and make sure it still works easily. This last year I replaced tires, but if you have an old spare, check the spare. If your car has a weak point and you want to go, Peace of mind is the fix in the car. The weather is nice in KC and I NEED to get the bugeye out this weekend.

skidog

Freshman Member
I bought a cheap gps unit runs on AA bateries or the cigarette lighter. the Garmin I2 for $230 off of Amazon. I take it in all of my cars doesn't take any room and easily transportable. The built in POI's such as all gas stations, auto repair stores like autozone and other necessary places if I am just tooling around and don't know where I am are very useful. It is nice to know I can get to help if I need to and how far gas stations, auto repair places or if needed hotels are. I will be taking it to MG 2006 in TN. Going to drive back roads all the way there from Michigan.

(If a cell phone qualifies as a tool I 'spose this does to.)

Country flag
Are you passing near Louisville on your way down? I'm going down on Thursday morning. I'll run the Interstate in the early AM, then hit the back roads when rush hour starts.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
1. screwdrivers, both kinds
2. 2 sizes of cresent wrenchs
3. 2 sizes of vise grips
4. duct tape
5 electrial tape
6. Bailing wire, hehe
7. small bucket, ahhhh. Water from the creek after you tape hose.
8. fan belt
9. 7/16th and 1/2" socket with extension 3" and handle
10. needle nose plires with cutter.
11. short length, couple feet of 14 gage wire.
12. one gal plastic gas can, one of the ones that seals well.
13. Handi wipes, the wet ones. and a tube of hand cleaner.
14. flash light with long life batteries or one of the new ones with no batteries.

All this stuff fits in the bucket and the top is closed, you know one of those smallish paint cans from the hardware. The plastic ones.

If you need more, you need to work on the car a bit after the tow.

Country flag
Where is a good place to buy "disposable" tools? I need to make a kit and quit taking stuff in and out of my toolbox.
Harbor Freight?
Wal-Mart?
Auto-Zone?