• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

You know you have a classic when.....

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Yesterday I had my bright red BE on my trailer bringing it back from a visit with an ace mechanic, Don Ross, in Zebulon, NC. As I was driving down NC Hwy 70 I was passed by a very yellow new 911 Porsche. As the Porsche went by he waved and gave me a big "thumbs up" in appreciation of a great classic sports car. What a great feeling.
Charlie

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I never get tired of a thumbs up. What I do get tired of is when I am at a stop light and a guy in a Mustang or other some supped up car thinks I want to race him.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
As a relative newbie to the classic car scene in general and LBCs in particular, I'm still getting used to all the attention my '69 Sprite gets from people. I have to admit, it is fun, though!

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You Betcha! Almost feel like a celebrity out there driving around in my 60 BE.
Going to my first car show of the season on Saturday, where I am sure I will get a lot of questions.

Country flag
Another nice thing the last couple of years is that we are not only getting waves and thumbs up form the older generations, it seems to me that the youngsters are waving at us too. Nice feeling :smile:

Country flag
I'd like to have a Healey 100-4 with a modern hopped up 4 cylinder and rack and pinion steering.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor is there a conversion kit to get rid of the truck like handling as Frank C. described driving his Big Healey.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Trevor is there a conversion kit to get rid of the truck like handling as Frank C. described driving his Big Healey.

I'll always remember Frank's disappointment with that pink and black Healey. I know when I got my big Healey I expected it to be a bigger version of the bugeye ... it's not. If you're used to a Spridget, you're not going to be impressed by the handling of a big Healey. And I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the acceleration of the big Healey with the standard six cylinder. I fixed the acceleration part, but my bugeye will outhandle the big Healey any day.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing about people pulling up next to me.... It happens all the time, it would be nice if they could keep up though

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My car has yet to be called adorable (which was discussed in another thread), but just today (along with the standard waves, honks, and pointing) I got an ovation. That's happened before. Pulling out of my driveway, a guy walking by starts applauding.

As all of you know, don't drive your Sprite if you don't want to get noticed (especially if yours is orange, like mine).

nomad

Yoda
I'd like to have a Healey 100-4 with a modern hopped up 4 cylinder and rack and pinion steering.

Trevor, I'm going to be a smug ----- and suggest you do like me and break down and buy a Lotus!

Kurt.

Country flag
I like the Big Healey style, but I just would rather have a sports car.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yes, the thumbs up and waves from others is great fun. I get them from Miatas and Porsches more than anyone else.

And I almost always be a comment when I park in a convenience store ("I used to have one of those!"....etc).
You are also likely to get a lot of attention from kids in school busses.
Last week, my wife had a meeting of the local Women's Club at our house. When the meeting ended she let the ladies out via the garage (closer to the driveway) and I ended up with about 10 old gals standing around my MGB, gushing over it. Two asked me if they could bring their husbands over to see the cars. Pretty funny.

As for power, yesterday I drove my '73 Midget "~Red Rat~" which is built from all my scrap parts and is powered by a 35 horsepower 948 cc engine.
As always, it was great fun.
Power can be neat, but The Rat is proof that you don't need big power to have big fun.

When someone pulls up next to me in the Midget and starts revving their engine like Connie Kalitta, it becomes pretty obvious they don't really get it.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I mentioned this in an E-Mail to Jim Gruber. I went to La Mesa to a Bar in what is known as the Village to watch San Diego State play in the NCAA game on Thursday night. There was no parking anywhere as the bar was jammed with Aztec fans. Exactly across the street from the Bar is a British shop that sells All British Stuff. The owner of the shop waved me over to his shop and said I could park off street in front of his little shop. He told me anytime I am in the Village to park in front of his shop and forget about looking for a parking place from now on.
He said it would help his business, because people woulds stroll by to take a look at my Bugeye and maybe wander into his shop. So I have life long free parking in the Village where the parking meters are two hour parking until 6:00PM. My Buddies who i met to watch the game had to park blocks away from the bar.

G

Just as long as folks don't think it's part of his display and proceed to climb in...and on for photo ops o.k.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I promise the next time I park there I will take a photo. Might even wander in to the place, since I have never been in the shop. Just might help to further cement our relationship.
Although I have never been in the shop I have been in the Bar many many times. Mainly for a Burger.I don't know why but I have always thought a burger cooked behind a bar just tasted better.