• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

XK150

Country flag
Thats mighty nice....does it qualify for the Cars-for-cash program? :smile:

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Exotexs said:
if you gots the money, make a decent offer, you never know. Looks wonderful but don't expect a modern performer, these cars are heavy.

Ex
Well, 130mph and 0-60 in under 8 seconds(for the S) isn't shabby either!

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Exotexs said:
Roger said:
Well, 130mph and 0-60 in under 8 seconds(for the S) isn't shabby either!

you mean downhill on a 35 degree grade? I can do that on my bicycle :smile:)

Ex

No, I mean contemporary Autocar and Motor road tests. Of course, that was for UK spec cars. I don't know if there were any differences for US cars, though back in the late 50s and early 60s I didn't think so.

Jack64nm

Beautiful car! Yes these cars do pull very nicely and the figures quoted are achievable (in the right hands) and with a few tweaks can even be improved on, BUT that kind of driving makes short shift of worn drivetrain and suspension parts!

However, Ex does have a valid point, these cars do feel heavy to drive and the suspension is certainly not confidence inspiring around corners!
That said, this car is over fifty years old and, if you enjoy the noise and smell of a car of that vintage, can adapt your driving to the car, the enjoyment is infinite!

This is an improvement on driver safety and comfort compared to the 120/140, due mainly to less rush in development and the lessons learned from the earlier models.

IMHO This particular car is so pretty, I cannot believe anyone (who knows what it takes to drive a classic car) able to afford the privilege of ownership could have the slightest regret!

Not that I don't follow the desire for a 120/140. I have set my sights on owning a 120 roadster and would not compromise that. For a coupe I think you could indulge in a little more luxury!

BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Or you could buy my XK120 replica and put my 94 XJS 4.0 six cylinder donor underneath like I was going to do. Classic looks and modern engine and drive-train. Anyone with $5000 can pick up where I dropped it.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I learned to drive in an XK150 coupe. What a fun car! The gearbox isn't great (Moss Crash box as I recall), but at least it had disk breaks (The 120 for sure did not, and I don't think the 140 did either).

Jerry_Oliver

Freshman Member
Country flag
Matt,
The XK150 FHC is a wonderful car. Practical, sporty, fun to drive, powerful, and posses many mechanical and comfort features not found in the earlier XK models. If you can mange a Model T, you'll get use to the Moss box. I've owned a fair number of different British cars, and currently own 3 Jaguars (E type V12 OTS, and 2 XK150 OTS). And, until recently I owned a XK150 FHC 3.8L two carb O/D car. I'm of the opinion if you own only one Jaguar, the best is the 3.8L XK150 FHC. The 3.8L two carb is nearly as powerful as the 3.4 S model, and with over drive the car sits down at about 90 and cruises along. Yes, the steering is heavy, but only at lower speeds, Just drive fast everywhere. Now, the car in question looks nice, but as in all British cars, the devil is in the details. Rust, the great enemy, can be big dollars in any Jaguar. Also, matching numbers is a big deal in Jaguars as it comes to price. Driving the car, it means nothing. So, if you can find one that is a good car that isn't matching, the price should be about 20% less than one that is matching. I do think the car is about 10-15 grand over priced. I sold my very nice 150 FHC last summer for 40. Keep looking, as its always best to buy from a fellow enthusiasts rather than a dealer.
Jerry in Olympia WA