• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

wire wheels- chrome vs. painted and 72 vs. 60

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am thinking about new wheels for my 1967 BJ8 and just wanted to see what opinions were out there about the different wire wheels. I was leaning somewhat to move up to a 72 spoke painted wheel, but looked at a lot of pictures of chrome wires and they do look good! Also, do I even need the 72 spoke at all? I know they are stronger, but I don't drive the car hard. Any comments are appreciated.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I bought the 72 for the stiffness. They are as solid as a steel wheel. I am sure the new 60s are better than the originals, but all the originals I had are bent. I like the look of the 72 also. But it is your choice.

Jerry
BJ8

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I got the 72 spoke chrome (stainless spokes) from Dayton (British Wire Wheel)
IMG_1505.jpg
because I liked the look. I've had them for 20 years and they look like new.

Country flag
If I had been home today (Monday) I could've accepted the UPS shipment from Dayton Wire Wheels (that wasn't supposed to ship until Tuesday 2/2/10, as explained in 2 E-mails & 1 phone call...) and posted some pictures of my new 70-spoke wheels.

What is it about vendors that turns them stupid once they collect your money?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
Yeah, but given a choice, I'd be happier gettin' 'em early. No excuse now Randy, photos tomorrow! :laugh:

Country flag
GregW said:
Randy Forbes said:
Yeah, but given a choice, I'd be happier gettin' 'em early. No excuse now Randy, photos tomorrow! :laugh:
We've been in Florida for the past week, and got home at 1:00AM this morning. If the roads had been wet (at sub-freezing temperatures) we would've stopped halfway and continued home on Tuesday, missing the 2nd delivery attempt.

Ideally, the wheels would've been delivered a week or so after I ordered them, on December 17th :smile:

Pictures at 11:00...

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
tomnanney said:
I am thinking about new wheels for my 1967 BJ8 and just wanted to see what opinions were out there about the different wire wheels. I was leaning somewhat to move up to a 72 spoke painted wheel, but looked at a lot of pictures of chrome wires and they do look good!
I agree

tomnanney said:
Also, do I even need the 72 spoke at all? I know they are stronger, but I don't drive the car hard. Any comments are appreciated.
If you're not pulling high G's in the turns or lighting up the rear wheels, 60 spokers will be more than fine. I think for you, it boils down to taste. I've seen some cars where they painted the spokes a different color than silver and looked quite nice. New wheels are a fairly big purchase, definitely sleep on it. I went with 16" 72 spoke wheels. They have heavy duty stainless spokes (you have to ask for that). It doesn't sound like 16" is available anymore, but it never hurts to ask. :wink:
BTW, I have heard from a couple sources that British Wire Wheel has gone out of business. I always recommend Hendrix anyway. Here's a shot of one of my wheels.

Oh, one other thing to consider is the tire you want to use. I researched both at the same time. Tires for the original rims are getting hard to find in a tall profile (what it was originally). Modern tires tend towards a lower profile. That lead me to the 16"x6" rim where I could get a diameter similar to original and I could buy a replacement at any tire store. The downside is wider tires will stick out and can rub on the stock fenders.

Attachments

• 19985.jpg
    19985.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 879

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
All good questions tomnanney.
72 spokes will distribute the load better. Down the road you may prevent a spoke breaking, if one had less spokes. The chrome vs silver would be personal taste. Concours would be sixty spokes silver.

Speaking of Concours, I've got to tip my hat to GrewW for his attention to detail.
I'm aware that the red tag (Tally no. 131) that was attached with a string to the battery cut off switch said, PLEASE LEAVE THIS TALLY ON SWITCH FOR CUSTOMER. Knowing this, I have said red tag.

All I've got to say is, I'm a lucky guy that GregW does not park next to me at any of the cars shows I attend. Greg steps up the attention to detail by including the original cream colored purchase tag, still attached with that piece of sting, to one of his spokes. How can we compete with that. Dude you rock!

Included are two photos of my attempt to keep up with the Jones, aka GregW.
Note I have the battery cut off tag.
Note I don't have the wheel tag.
Wonder if any of the usual suspects have them in their parts list.

Cheers,
Roger

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
AUSMHLY said:
All good questions tomnanney.
72 spokes will distribute the load better. Down the road you may prevent a spoke breaking, if one had less spokes. The chrome vs silver would be personal taste. Concours would be sixty spokes silver.

PLEASE LEAVE THIS TALLY ON SWITCH FOR CUSTOMER.

Cheers,
Roger

I'm probably being dense, but what was the purpose of the tag and what was the customer supposed to do with it?

Back to the original topic, I'd highly recommend Dayton 72 spoke stainless with tires shaved, mounted and balanced by Alan Hendrix. Many wire wheel problems, out of balance, out of true and scuttle shake can be directly traced to improper tire mounting. Hendrix knows their stuff and are excellent to deal with.

andybj8

Jedi Hopeful
Sorry Tom to change the thread, but as Roger has done half a job :wink: the other side of the tag says (at a guess):
Master battery safety switch. This switch isolates the battery in case of emergency, or when parking or carrying out repairs. Only use when the engine is stationary, or blown fuses or damage to the equipment may result. Joseph Lucas ltd. Birmingham, Eng.

But I guess Roger may post a pic! must figure out how to attach one sometime.

And on the wheels, I'm being conventional and going for standard 60 spoke painted, instead of pimp my ride :crazyeyes:
seriously I do like the chromes and have a set on now, but going down the standard route

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
AUSMHLY said:
Greg steps up the attention to detail by including the original cream colored purchase tag, still attached with that piece of sting, to one of his spokes. How can we compete with that.
:lol: Them tags ain't original! Those were from Hendrix. When Allen shaves and balances the tires, he marks the tags as to where the wheel should go on the car. The better balanced ones go on the front (until you rotate them of course), but it gives you a reference point. 'Sides, I think those red brake drums would get a point or ten taken off any score I might have. Been contemplating changing them to black for no particular reason.

P.S. I still have the label on my mattress.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey andybj8

Enjoyed your website...looks like you are well on your way to a beautiful car! with standard painted wire wheels (good choice but that's only my opinion).

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
andybj8 said:
Sorry Tom to change the thread, but as Roger has done half a job :wink: the other side of the tag says (at a guess):
Master battery safety switch. This switch isolates the battery in case of emergency, or when parking or carrying out repairs. Only use when the engine is stationary, or blown fuses or damage to the equipment may result. Joseph Lucas ltd. Birmingham, Eng.

But I guess Roger may post a pic! must figure out how to attach one sometime.

And on the wheels, I'm being conventional and going for standard 60 spoke painted, instead of pimp my ride :crazyeyes:
seriously I do like the chromes and have a set on now, but going down the standard route

Trust my going off subject here a little was ok. Just having a little fun with Greg.

Oh and your right, my bad that I didn't show other side of the tag.
For those interested:

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
I like em both ways all depends on the car...painted silver, painted white and chrome...

Greg you have every right BTW:..I'll butt-out now.........

Attachments

• 19996.jpg
    19996.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 726
Country flag
Patrick67BJ8 said:
Only three wheels???
Patrick
Three? Those are all pictures of the same wheel!

Actually, not wanting to be accused of doing anything halfway, I bought five (5) :wink:

I ordered the tires tonight from The Tire Rack, so they'll be here Thursday. It's been a long time, but I'm going to try and mount them by hand; we'll see how that goes...

Country flag
GregW said:
Patrick67BJ8 said:
Only three wheels???
So <span style="font-weight: bold">that's</span> why they were 25% off
confused0053.gif

They looks great Randy.
There's nothing wrong with your math :wink:

Thanks though; they're a little "smudged" up, but they'll clean up with some WheelWax and a little rubbing (saying "elbow grease" would be exaggerating).