• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

windshield wiper motor

pawpace

Country flag
I took apart the windshield wiper motor for cleaning and reassembled. Now all I get is one click at the motor when I turn it on and it does not work. I have rechecked the wiring but cannot find the problem. Also, where does the fiber washer fit?

Thanks

Mike

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Mike, if you can't figure out the problem, The Kansas City Triumph Car Club has a large membership and I'm sure one of them would be happy to help you out.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Might help if we knew what car you are working on. They aren't all the same, and some folks work on more than one. Note that the VTR guide (link above) is for the TR6 wiper.

OP
P

pawpace

Country flag
Sorry, it is a 1962 TR3B. I am a member of the KC Triumphs and will give Paul a call.

Thanks for the suggestions. I took it back apart and am experiencing the same problem. There is a click but no movement.

Mike

OP
P

pawpace

Country flag
Does anyone have a picture of the inside of the wiper motor? I am not sure which post inside the motor that the parking switch wire connects to. Is it the same one that the armature is connected to or the other one?

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't have a photo, but the wire from the park switch attaches to terminal 1. Or you could just leave it disconnected (and tied out of the way) while you are trying to get the motor to work. It is only required for parking.

If it was wrong, the fuse should have blown. My first step would be to turn on the ignition and wiper switch, then with the motor connected, check that you have 12v between terminals 1 and 2. That should be enough to make the motor run.

OP
P

pawpace

Country flag
Al,

Thanks for your response. Have been busy so this is the first time I had to start working on it again.

It is a DR 2 and No, I have not got it sorted out yet. Electrical problems are not my strong suit but with help, I think I can get it corrected.

That is a good reference tool you sent me on Lucas. Now, I just have to understand it. I am getting ready to work on it again and will let you know how I come out. It almost seems to be in a bind and as you know, it is a tight fit to get the armature in the case.

Mike

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
OK you have a DR2. Now there are two different kinds of self-park switches on these.

You can tell which you have from the shape of the dome that sticks through the plate with the part-numbers on.
Have you got a round one like a "top-hat" or one with two "flats" on the side.

I've got a few of both kinds and will photo one if it helps.

Rather than test this with a car-battery which can burn stuff out if there is a fault I'd suggest some kind of 12V power-unit that does abot 3amps. Old fashioned battery-charger would do. These just shut down if you get a short circuit.

Short-circuits are just what you do get if the self-parker is mishandled some way.

Most of the spare parts you might need for this are available over here.
Al.

OP
P

pawpace

Country flag
Al,

I have the one with the top that pokes thru the flat piece. The flat piece has numbers DR2 12v 8 62 V167 and also 540710378 (what looks like a Mercedes symbol) followed by 75371D. The round top has a connection on top for the park which has two types of connections, one round and the other a square slip over type.

Thanks,

Mike

OP
P

pawpace

Country flag
Al,

Great Pics!

I am not going to have time to get to it tonight, but I will let you know if I have any questions or problems. You are a great help and it is really appreciated. I am sure many TR owners are benefiting from your pictures.

Mike