• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

windshield to body seal

hi all,
i picked up one of those windshield seal kits off of ebay, and have R+R the windshield on my 75 with the one from my 79. i am not very happy with the fit of the gasket (windshield to body seal), it fits ok in the middle, but on the ends i have a gap you could almost throw a cat thru (both sides). the replacing part went almost to smooth. i was easily able to get the bolts started on either side. so i thought i might have to pull the windshield down a bit to tighten it up, made up some clamps, and didnt really gain much. anyone else had a similar problem? perhaps i should try a different source for the gasket?
all thoughts welcome. and thanx

mark

Country flag
Something is very wrong. You might have the wrong seal. Does the profile match your old one? Is the seal completely compressed in the middle of the windshield? If you have all four bolts in and you still have a gap something is very wrong. Let me ask the obvious: Did you get the lip of the seal pulled out to the front and not tucked under?

OP
SilentUnicorn
yes sir i did. the seal appeared to be similar. i did not profile it, guess i will when i redo the job with a diff seal, any thoughts on where to get a good one?

thanx
mark

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
There are some pretty lousy seals out there in the reproduction parts bins. After going thru a few from the usual suppliers, I opted for one from England.
It fit perfectly.
Modern rubber trees just don't make rubber like the old rubber trees.

Country flag
I used one from Moss (USA) and it seemed to be a perfect fit. It was still a bear to get the windshield bach on, but it definitely seals the gap. However, It has only been on for a few months so it may become brittle.

G

Mark, Did you get that kit from N.O.S. Locators? I bought one from them on ebay a couple of months ago but havent installed it yet.I was wondering if Im going to have the same problem.
jv
confused.gif
driving.gif

OP
SilentUnicorn
jv,

yes i did,

what kinda seemed strange to me was the fact that i had no problem getting the bolts started in the windshied (with the new seal). i did some searching and it seemed that everything i read mentioned how much of a pain it is to get those bolts restarted. i cant imagine that a 79 windshield wont fit a 75.
i will try one from moss, i guess. at least now i have a way figured out how to pull the windshield down.

mark

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mark, be careful trying to force the windshield frame into place, or you'll crack the glass. I'm sure you know that, but just a friendly reminder.
I had a similar problem on a "63, and when I got a new seal from Moss, rather than using the one I sourced from someplace else, the problem disappeared.
Jeff
hammer.gif

OP
SilentUnicorn
Friendly reminders are Always welcome.
turns out there isnt a whole lot of movement in those holes anyhow. what i did is use some long clamps (pipe style) with some extensions clamped on, and used the jack hole directly below the windshield foot. and GENTLY, and both sides, tighten them up. it did help a little, but still have a gap for the dead cat, if ya know what i mean
cryin.gif

but my windshield is still whole and i plan to keep it that way.

mark

Jeff M

Be careful in the balmy Vernont weather too...a little stress on a windshield and you'll be looking for a new one!

OP
SilentUnicorn
revisited,

got a new seal today from moss, doesnt look a whole lot different/ it occure to methat perhaps i trimmed the other rubber to short?

so i guess the question is....does the rubber need to be trimmed, or do i have to work it all into the bottom of the windshield, to gain the extra material?
Thanx

mark

Bugeye58

Yoda
Nope, it all goes in there. Try a little dish washing soap to make things slide easier. Wearing a pair of latex surgical type gloves seems to help when you are trying to push the now slippery rubber into the channel.
Have fun,
Jeff

Bill Tubbs

My question is, how the heck did you get the bolts started on both sides? Get help? My windshield is STILL sitting with only one side of the bolts/shims going because I can't exert enough pressure on the shield to get the other side started. Any hints, tricks?

Country flag
I made a special pry bar out of some round stock. I got the idea from someone else's web site (can't remember who). Anyway, the end was ground to a point, then it had a 90 degree bend about 3 inches beyond that. This allow me to insert the tool through one hole and pry down to start the other bolt. That 90 degree bend is essential to get the motion needed.