• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wife Training

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
MG owners have a bit of a problem. We NEED to spend time with our best girl... the B/ Midget. Yet we have a partner who helps pay the bills (most of us) who feels like she diserves some time. How do you balance the two ? What should be done to train her ? and other related comments that you may have ????

Maybe this should be in the Humor or Misc subject section ... ????

John Staub

I take my better-half on cruises, lunches, etc. She appreciates our B, doesn't know much about cars, doesn't care to learn, but does appreciate the sun and wind.

We agree on the fact that our B is our "boat". It's our getaway!!

John

Bret

Yoda
Well truth be told, my better half has only been in my B once in the past two & a half years I’ve had it. And has stated repeatedly – that she doesn’t want anything to do with it, but is happy that I have a hobby. Her only real resentment is that she didn’t know that I’d be spending so much time working in the garage.

So in an effort to keep my wife happy, I take our three year old daughter out for weekend drives just so she can have some quiet time with our newborn. This is a trade off that seems to work well for us. I get great father daughter time as well as stick time on the back roads in the surrounding hills above our home.

So the question is: Am I training my wife, or is she training me?
confused.gif

Bret

SteveT

Jedi Hopeful
Here's to all the wives, girl friends and significant others that allow us boys to play with our toys. If it weren't for them we would probably just be sitting around drinking, belching and watching car shows and racing on Speedvision. It was them who chased us out into the garage and into our "hobby" so they could have some peace and quite in the house.

You know, I wouldn't know what to do without mine.
crazyeyes.gif

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just make sure I give my husband a huge, filling breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings. (The only meals I cook.) Then about noon, he always wants to take a nap.

That's my MG time!
wink.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Not my worry...she just lets me go...last B I had was before kids and I took the the Jeep to deer camp for 3 days and "stuck" her with the 69B for a week of rain and cold. All she did was complain about that week everytime I mentioned how I missed having a B. She has hinted that she does remember how to drive stick shift though LOL maybe we will get away in it together this summer I hope ;-)

Bruce

G

As you probably guessed if you read the engine change, My wife uses the B when ever she wants it. I am also fortunate in that she is a teacher, who works mon-fri, while I shift work, a bunch on, with a bunch more off. This means I work weekends, with days off thru the week. So I plan my car puttering around her working. I have found that a HAPPY wife gives me a happy life.
cowboy.gif

kmcormick9

i am only 20, so i have no idea about wives. the girlfriend i had at the time i bought the midget hated it, needless to say shes gone. my mother always tries to get me to let her drive it to work.
shocked.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, everybody knows I have a collection comprising 1 of every type MG built since WWII plus about 50 parts cars & 5 or 6 more for sale...my philosophy over 33 years of marriage to the same woman is & has always been: "She can't say 'NO' to me if I never say 'NO' to her!"....&, it works!"

G

I'm tryin that philosophy Tony, but with Laura's current situation, I don't think much will work
confused.gif

G

I'm trying it, too, but my wife keeps wanting to drive one of MY MGB's! Heaven forbid! I'd rather buy her a new car of her own!

OP
S

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
I thought this would get some response... It did. truth be known...I have the best. My wife of 25 yeasr has on numerous occasions called me on her way to work or wherever to tell me "Hey, I just saw a 69, or a 79 in great shape", OR "Quick, drive over to_____ ,there's a B for sale." She not only allows me to have and work on them but encourages it. The fun part was in the beginning when she ( like many others ) said... "What is that, Does it run ?"
Any partner who will allow an MG to be purchased is wonderful...any who allow it to stay is devine.
PS the answer to what is that and does it run ?
It's an MGB and ...NO! But it will someday.

SteveT

Jedi Hopeful
After reading all the posts to this query, I must admit, to all the guys here, we really have the best partners in the world, our wives! Who else would allow us to work all day, on a Sunday, on our LBCs and then cook dinner? However, I now must watch "Maid in Manhattan" Oh well, it could be worse!
yesnod.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gerry....buy her her own MG...go the route Wray went: Magnette for the wife, B roadster & BGT for you....or, maybe interest her in a nice round wheel arch Midget!!!

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
Most women are pretty good!! Treat them good and they will treat you better!! Unfortunately, when you screw up, they never forget!!
blush.gif

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
My wife has the ' nice ' car, so I can do whatever I like with and to my project cars. She has been broken down and on the phone a few times and I'd rather not repeat that any more. The one thing she doesn't like is that her car has to sit outside in the rain, while my cars sit high and dry..

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
I just have to add to this.My wife wouldn't drive my big 56 Mercury 4 door hardtop back in 61.I wanted her to get her driver's lisence.Well when a neighbour's daughter came home driving a brand new 62 Alpine,She quipped get me one of those and I'll learn to drive.Well its been 42 years of sunbeaming. I must admit though that we have had to cut down and there are only 4 left.The 3 in my signature and one more to do.The best part is its all her fault we are in this and she can't really say no when I spend some big bucks.She was the one who encouraged me to go after the 65 Tiger as she said you really do want it.
What else can I say as she is my
soulmate,friend,lover and wife.

OP
S

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
I started this because my "daughter" said..."Daddy will you please buy a REGULAR car, so you don't have to work on it all the time?"
I asked her what was REGULAR and she said... A Ford Taurus or a Toyota or a Malibu. I was hurt. This is the same daughter who volunteers to wash and hand wax the cars when I am home working on them because she tells everyone they are "HERS, and when daddy dies...I will have them ALL to my self." Not exactly something that I look forward to but, I do understand what she meant. She has been very supportive... but thinks that I work too much and they don't run often enough. She is right but I could not drive a "regular" car... I just could not do it.
Like one of the guys on here says... "Life is too short to drive boring cars".
Women ( not all of them) think working on a car to get it running is a chore and that when it breaks down it is a bad thing. It is like working a crossword puzzle... every time you get to the end; there is another one to begin. If you have a spouse or partner who lets you have your LBC time then you are blessed (as I am) but sometimes you might give in and let them have their way too. I will be looking at a "regular" car this week ( Chevy or Ford with 4 doors). Cheers, Steven

PS A few weeks ago I went to NYC to take my wife and daughter to a couple of Broadway plays... they loved it. They usually go by themselves...I had not gone in years.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
... Coming in way at the end, but have been following this thread since it started...

And before I go any further I must state up front that I am 31 and never-married so I don't have much real-life experience, but I have observed many others in their relationships.

I read a great article by an automotive writer named Norm Mort, who writes up here in Ontario. He made a point that a strong marriage is far more important than having your favourite classic car. He goes as far as to say that if the classic car is ultimately going to get in the way of your marriage the car should go, in the long term the marriage is far more important (because as many of you can likely attest to, a marriage breakup is messy). He also talks about how ex-wives hold the classic car almost as ransom (again maybe some of you have experienced this). I tend to agree with him, and from the sounds of it some of you would likely concur. But it is only my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Following up on that point, assuming you have a wife/partner who will tolerate your hobby, watch how you spend your time. Don't spend too much time in the garage, so your family doesn't know who you are (unless your wife and/or kids like helping you and are able to a bit). I've heard some people I know suggest putting off a full-scale restoration until after the children are grown up, and if you want a classic badly enough at that point purchase a "driver" that the family can actually enjoy. And try to involve your family in your car club, many are family friendly - I know mine is.

And... if you can pull it off... find a partner who loves cars as much you do (a rare find!). In our club, the family that edits our newsletter are heavily into Mini's, and both husband and wife are both equally bonkers over them.

[ 03-31-2003: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
My wife hasn't even sat in the Spitfire yet. But she tolerates me working on it where as she hated with a passion my old Z28. She is not much of a fan of old cars - I think my whole family thinks I'm a bit odd. My son isn't quite old enough to be a helper yet (only just turned one)