• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Where to find frames?

CuriousGeorge

When I bought my car it was with the understanding that the frame should be patched in a few places (surprisingly not at the diff-mounting points) If I ever decide to do a total restoration starting with a new frame, where do I find one? Or does everyone just repair theirs and then start?

Also, what exactly does that little scoop that opens up in front of the windsheild do?

TANKS

TR4

Jedi Knight
That scoop is a fresh air intake bringing air to the cabin through the vents on the dash. My TR4 has a handle under the dash on the passenger side to open and close it. Not sure about the 6's.

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
By the time you purchase a new frame, and install it, you will have spent enough money to have been able to purchase a TR6 that doesn't need much of anything. The smart money would be to find a non rusted car. If your frame is rusted out, so are alot of other body parts, floors, rockers, etc.. Also, you can generally find a good, never rusted frame on e bay for practically nothing. The cars just don't bring enough money to justify a frame off restoration. Let someone else lose their money, in other words, find one that is already restored. Use you time to enjoy life, it's to short. PS-Don't buy any of them up North rust buckets, in fact, don't even bother going to look at Northern cars.

PeterK

Yoda
Even if you buy a car in California, it doesn't mean that years ago some college student didn't drive to Calif from New Jersey with an already rusted undercarriage. So shop carefully.

My original frame had rust issues although most of the tub is truely (almost) free of rust. I bought a frame from Delaware that was nearly perfect except from some caked-on dirt the paint and primer was still intact.

Try https://www.triumphworks.com. He's in PA and trustworthy. For new, of course Ratco is THE one (and only.)

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
You mention you haven't yet decided to do a frame off, so I say take your time, figure out exactly what is wrong with what you have, and figure out a plan on where you want to get to. In the meantime, drive your TR.

If you decide to go with a replacement frame, you can with patience find them at pretty low prices still. Ebay, club adverts, etc. Probably $100 is the low end, and I know I've seen rolling frames for around $1000. Transportation, of course, is another hurdle. Ratco is a great option and I hope that option stays around for a long time - but I don't think it is the only option available at this point in time.

Randy

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
John Burkett of TriumphWorks specializes in TR6 frame restoration--he can do the job with the body on the car or off. He did some work on my TR3 frame which came out nicely--I've seen his TR6 frames at his shop which he has rebuilt. I think his cost are about half of what a Ratco frame will run you.

OP
C

CuriousGeorge

Thanks guys, more great information. Has anyone on this forum used Ratco? They sure look like great frames.

I have given the car a good going over, and I am confident I can have the few areas on the frame I am concerned about repaired. I agree that the smart money is on a restored car. Mine is actually very nice looking and running as is, so I doubt I'll ever do a frame off. Just sort of dreaming, y'all know how it is.