• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Where does hose from timing cover go?

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
I've got a 1275 engine in my BE. The timing chain cover is the one with the can attached to it with a pipe at the top.

Do I attach that to an intake opening on the intake manifold? Do I put a hose on it to drop on the ground? What about attaching it to one of those chrome oil breather?

I also drilled a hole into the block where the mechanical gas pump would go if I had one. Right now it's blocked off should that also go into the manifold or into a chrome oilbreather?

Thanks...I'll get this thing running just in time for snow.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
It should go the the intake manifold but will suck up tons of oil if you don't put a restriction in the line or use one of the "flyng saucer" gulp valves that belong on a 1275.

Glen Byrns

asoupley

Jedi Hopeful
Glen_B said:
It should go the the intake manifold but will suck up tons of oil if you don't put a restriction in the line or use one of the "flyng saucer" gulp valves that belong on a 1275.

Glen Byrns

Is this where you could use a newer PCV valve instead of the pancake looking thing?

-Tony

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've tried the newer PCV valves and an oil catch can to prevent oil vapor from sucking into the intake, and I still get smoke after the motor warms up. It doesn't happen all the time, just about 3 miles worth of driving after the motor comes to normal temperature. I'm about to strip all that out and go back to the original pancake PCV configuration. If that doesn't work I'll rent it to the local Orkin man during mosquito season.

OP
Bruce_B

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
I did run the engine with the can hooked up into the intake. There are no longer any mosquitos within 1/4 of my house. Does it have to be hooked up at all? Any one have pictures?

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Bruce, you have got me laughing, the first time I ran my BE with a 1275 I did the same thing, to the air filters.

I had mine going to the 1275 intake (original setup 1275) with the holes by the carb linkage. I didn't like the way that looked and have gone to a vented catch can on the fender well.

Thanks for the memories...

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I don't know squat but that doesn't stop me. See if I'm on track.
If you don't attach the system to a vacuum source (intake) it doesn't "suck out" the pressure and you can have oil leaks.
Depending on the engine conditions, rings and such you might not need much "suction" to alleviate the pressure and control oil seepage.
Gulp valve/PCV controls/regulates the "suction".

In my case, 1098 without the timing cover connection, I went out of the rocker cover to the intake and restricted the size of the hole in the connection "metered orifice" instead of a PCV valve. Oil leak stopped. No discernible smoke. Probably sucking in oil to the intake but I don't notice anything bad at this point.

I'd first attach straight to the intake but reducing the opening by some means (I slipped a vaccum cap over the tip of the barbed fitting with the tip snipped off, then slid the hose over it all) down to about 1/16" diameter. Less clutter, less stuff, less cost if it works.