• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Where can you buy TR2 door wood?

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Does anybody have a source for early TR door wood?

I haven't seen any in the "big three" catalogs. I do have a local outfit that makes "woodie" wood...in fact they build complete new woodie" bodies. I may drive up there later today to show him what I've got and see if he will replicate it.

But I'd like to get a cost comparison...or I could probably do it myself...I have access to a pretty nice woodworking shop.

Has anyone replaced the original ash wood with a treated wood like "yellow pine"? I would think that treated pine would be hard enough to do the job yet eliminate the rot problems...

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
This is not the voice of experience speaking here - but wouldn't you 'just' make a new piece in the shop from the pattern old one? That is what I did with the MGA (albeit the floor).

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
This is not the voice of experience speaking here - but wouldn't you 'just' make a new piece in the shop from the pattern old one? That is what I did with the MGA (albeit the floor).

[/ QUOTE ]

Skip,

You are right...but I'm a much better (MY opinion) metalworker than woodworker...I can always weld up my mistakes!

Seriously, the three parts are pretty simple but there is a concave shape to the top of the door wood that allows the aluminum door cap to seat into the wood...probably pretty simple to make by an experienced woodworker...but, like I said, .....

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
The concave shape would give me fits - maybe find an experienced shop that could make that specific part for you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure ther's a router bit designed to do that job...the piece that needs this is the top piece that follows the countour of the door...ez for a pro...probably not as ez for me...

I actually thought about casting this piece in resin...if I could get the original repaired enough to make a mold...

My brother restores old Jags...and he just recently built all new wood for a '36 SS-100 that he's restoring...maybe I could have him build it...but he's probably too expensive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Will early tr3 door wood fit?
Sp53

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep...that should be the same...my doors only have wood at the top to secure the door capping and the door latch assembly.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to take a look at Moss - they have steel top rails. Maybe replacements for the wooden parts? And they fit TR2's and 3's. Might give them a call to find out. Here's the page - check the entries after item # 11 - part nos. 803-585 and 803-595.

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29160

[/ QUOTE ]

They show the parts but they are N/A...not available. I'm going to call TRF...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
As I look at the Moss site quoted above, it is the WOOD that is not available. Part 803-585 and 803-595 seem to be the separate pieces atop the door that hold the rubber (that gets wrapped with upholstery).

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my guess as well, but they're named the same as the wooden parts (top rails). Confusing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At any rate, the rails should be the same for 2's and 3's.

Mickey

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to take a look at Moss - they have steel top rails. Maybe replacements for the wooden parts? And they fit TR2's and 3's. Might give them a call to find out. Here's the page - check the entries after item # 11 - part nos. 803-585 and 803-595.

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29160

[/ QUOTE ]

They show the parts but they are N/A...not available. I'm going to call TRF...

[/ QUOTE ]
TRF doesn't have them...and I couldn't find anything in Rimmer Bros. catalog, either.

The local woodworking guy isn't open this week...I'll do some other stuff to keep me busy and try him next week.