• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

When is good enough, actually good enough?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So help me here guys - I'm getting ready to get the interior back into the '74 TR6 in time for driving season in SoCal (pretty much now until June again, gets hot at times, but I've become a whimp about such things after moving down here).

Staring at the car this AM I found myself thinking that if I'm going to re-spray her now is the time since it would be little work to remove the bumpers and windshield to get a getter coat on her. Less masking etc...and I wouldn't have to fit the interior only to eventually remove it anyway.

My plan was to try and get some matching paint in rattle cans and do touch ups, but really now, when does that every turn out right when the paint you are trying to match is iffy anyway and hasn't been well cared for.

BUT, if I go down the re-spray road I'm looking at a boat load of prep time since if I'm going to pull the bumpers etc and spend the money on the re-spray (even a cheap one) I might as well do it right....

Help!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
I feel your pain. I am struggling with the exact same dilemma with the Spitfire. In fact, I may yank the engine while I'm at it. Interior is out, trim off, etc.

I just might have enough left in my "Poland slush fund" to do a respray. :smile:
I've already picked a shop - Ragtops and Roadsters in Perkasie.

Go for it dude...

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
If twer me, I would at least get some quotes on getting it re painted. If you do most or all of the prep work it shouldn't be too bad. I suspect you would be unhappy with rattle can touch ups even if you could match the color.

Find someone that is willing to work with you. I would not go to an insurance volumn shop. Unless you have a contact in mind, talk to some of the local hot rod guys and find out who does their work.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Cheers, Tinkerman

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I agree with the notion of getting a few estimates for the work. Most shops will not guarantee the work unless they do the preparation as well. You may even find very little would be saved by you removing the bumpers and wind shield and such. Then there is always the unexpected rust and other issues you cannot see.

Dollars can be saved by opting for a single stage paint over clear coats.

Shop before you jump into a decision that may not prove a workable solution.

G

When is good enough, actually good enough?

When it is for the government.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
You had better watch out. You may end up doing a body-off nut and bolt restoration!
I would love to re-spray my TR, but then I should really repair the floors and battery box, and I would want to respray in the engine compartment, so the engine would have to come out, and the body would have to come off the chassis. Then it would be great to re-trim the car.
I have been thinking this for over 16 years now, but I have elected to just keep running the car as it is. At least I don't need to worry about the kids climbing on the seats, or the cat sleeping on the bonnet, or any small stone chips. :wink:

D

DougF

I agree with Nick. Before you know it the whole car will be in pieces. "Since I'm this far, I might as well...."
Enjoy the car. Years down the road, if you still have it, consider a restoration.
It's nice to have a car you can drive and park anywhere and not worry about door dings, stone chips and the like.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Drive it like you stole it for a while (my 2 cents).

V

vagt6

I dunno, but if we're asking such questions about our LBC, then mebby it's time to sit down, grab a cool drink, and write a few things down:

1) This is a biggie: develop a restoration budget (yeah, I know most of us don't count, <span style="font-style: italic">but we should</span>). How much do you want to spend on this car???? Do you want to go "upside down" in the car (i.e., spend more on the resto than the car's retail value)? Key question IMHO. Maybe it would be more cost effective to sell this one and buy a nicely-sorted example? I've seen this more than once, and I've done it more than once.

Taking the time to develop even a cursory restoration budget is worth the time, I think. It may save you thousands of bucks, and headaches to boot. On many LBCs you may find that the cost to restore is far greater than the cost of purchasing a nicely-sorted example for which some other poor soul has spent too much and is forced to sell at a loss. Ebay is loaded with them: if you're patient, they fairly easy to find.

2) How badly do you need that paint job??? Paint jobs eat up relatively big chunks of cash: even a crappy paint job and prep costs a few thousand which could push you way past your budget or the car's value. You can't drive paint!

Just some thoughts. It's not prudent to go upside down in an LBC, but it sure is easy. Applying just a little logic may help save you a lot of money (and wailing from your wife) in the long run.

Paint?? Who needs a new stinkin' paint job??? :crazyeyes: :crazy: :wall:

T

Tinster

GeeBee1 said:
Drive it like you stole it for a while (my 2 cents).

<span style="color: #660000">Claiming the title as the BCF Triumph Breakdown King,
I say drive the car and feel yourself so fortunate your buggy
is operational.

My car paint job looks great from 3 feet away but the beast
usually breaks down within 7 miles or so. Paint is the least
of your worries.

<span style="font-size: 17pt">drive it !!</span>

Dale</span>

EDIT: I got one local quote to paint my TR6- $15,000 !!!!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My project started with, "I think I'm going to touch up the paint under the hood a little".

That is not to say that I'm unhappy, but just make sure you set your goals before starting. Both financial and physical.

milemarker60

I started with a clutch slave cyl replacement which led to removing the tranny for a new clutch while I was at it which necessitated removing the seats so why not fresh'n up the interior and with that all out it would be easy to respray and you know the fenders and panels just un-bolt (as does the tub). Before I knew it I had visions of new engines then add a little alcohol and a buddy with an independent BMW repair shop and I was screwed.

I kid you not, I started my TR6/M3 project on a Friday night with the above mentioned slave cylinder replacement and I had the body stripped and separated from the frame by Monday night. My wife would randomly stick her head out in the garage to check on me and ask silly questions like "why is the windshield off just to change the clutch", "huh, what's up with the trunk lid sitting out on the driveway", "you planning on driving this to work next week", "you've got a pretty serios issue and if you expect me to park outside because your dumb a** got carried away and exploded the TR6 accross a 4-car garage you better think about sleeping out here with it", etc..

OCD is very alive and well within my skin and I send out the warning, most of us have it locked up in a very dark place and LBC's have the KEY!

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't think a clutch slave cyl. has ever spun me quite that far out of control. 38 - 35 years ago I drove two TR3s which were already fairly beat-up. I always wanted to make 'em like new, but never did.

My present car was bought to drive, in 1983. It popped out of second gear and leaked oil. When the brakes began to leak I put it up "until the time was right" to do it all. That's what's been going on for the last two years now. I guess the bottom line is that I have long <span style="font-style: italic">wanted</span> to renew a TR3. At last, I'm doing it.

But if a hydraulic cylinder fails on me, I AIN'T DOING IT AGAIN! I'll just fix what breaks and drive the heck out of it!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
They call it shipwright's disease, and yes it's very common.

I've seen way too many cars taken off the road just to fix a simple problem (like Dave's clutch slave); and years later they are either still in pieces or being sold in an estate auction. While that can be a boon to "those who come after", it seems like a shame to me.

So, I've tried to always make it my rule to drive it until it won't run any more, then fix it and drive it some more.

When I got my "now wrecked" TR3A back in 1984, I decided I was going to get the mechanical stuff all "just so" before getting an expensive paint job ... Boy, am I sorry I made that mistake! Having a cheap paint job put on (with every expectation of someday stripping it off again and "doing it right") made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the car. While I'd still like to kill the SOB that pulled a parking lot hit and run; I suppose I should be grateful to him/her for triggering the paint job.

And you know what? No one has ever looked at it and said "That's a cheap paint job, isn't it."
grin.gif

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
So what is the cheapest possible paint job you can have done professionally, that doesn't look like a homebrew rattle can job in the back yard? What about these "one day" shops ... don't they charge something like $1,000 for a small car?

Halkett

Freshman Member
TdSkipp
exteriorbefore.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

I feel your pain. As mentioned in a previous post...I bought the TR6 in good running order and made fateful step in taking a fender off one afternoon having not driven it……pure curiosity. What do the seams look like underneath?...woosh and kaboom…. shipwrights set in like quick-silver. Fast forward 4 years / frame off / and about $$K later we have the weekend-driver you see today.
Labor of love? - yes.
Cheap psychotherapy? - yes
Value for money? - no
Do it again? - maybe

For me it was all about job satisfaction and the romantic notion of Britishness…
when you drive the car....
when you park the car....
when you fill the car at gas stations....
when you wash and wax the car.....
when you get off the couch to "check on the car"....

I am “satisfied” with the result…call it ego if you will but it suits me just fine…..

Take away this: do what “you” need to. Only this you will know .The one thing I have learned is that no one will judge you … its just good times.

Later/Stephen.