• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheelwell anit-chip paint product

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello all. I am looking for a product, that will be applied under the final color in the wheelwell, that will help keep the paint from chipping.

Maybe these two products? Dynamat Dynashield or Cascade VB-1S pro vblok quiet-kote. Here is the link:

https://www.mainstreet-audio.com/thestore/DLIQ.html

Am I on the right track?

Thak you, <font color="blue"> </font> Roger

trboost

Jedi Trainee

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for a product, that will be applied under the final color in the wheelwell, that will help keep the paint from chipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be better to apply a clear chip guard over the paint to protect it? My thinking on this is that the paint is fairly brittle and when you put a flexible layer below it, the impact of a rock/pebble will flex the top coat and it will still crack. With a flexible clear over the paint, the rock impact will be asborbed before reaching the paint. Anyway, just my opinion and I will talk some paint experts I know to see what they think.

Cheers,
John

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi John, Any product, on top, under, included in the paint, what ever is best. Just started the research. End result, is to have as little chipping as possible. John, thank you, Roger.

dklawson

Yoda
I agree that painting a chip protector over the top-coat may be a better option. There are numerous textured options and you may wish to discuss with your paint supplier what they have available. They'll know what local body shops use and what seems to work best. If you decide you don't want a textured surface, I believe places like Eastwood sell (or sold) a clear protective tape to apply to surfaces like front the front valence.

Country flag
Here's something that I've recently gotten onto: Fusor #805 wheelhouse coating. I have been using it for matching the undercoating on some BMWs I've been repairing.

I do plan to do my Healey's wheelwells though; I took it through the neighborhood and the din of the pebbles was annoying, to say the least!

This product does need to be topcoated, but as John indirectly implies, a flexitive could be added. Likewise to a clearcoat, if desired.

dwm_224.jpg

dwm_226.jpg

Country flag
I suppose it would be a public service for me to show what the product looks like!

The texture can be varied greatly through atomization. By varying the feed rate and air flow/pressure, you can lay out a "bead" to a relatively flat pattern.

I use something in the middle...

dwm_216.jpg

dwm_219.jpg

dwm_240.jpg

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Where do you get Fusor #805?
Looks nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
I get it from my local automotive (paint) finish supplier.

I found these two (2) by plugging in my old Breaux Bridge, La. zip code:

Company: Lashley Supply Company
Phone: 318-448-0271
Fax: 318-448-8769
2030 Rapieds Avenue
Alexandria, LA 71301

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company: Keystone Automotive
Phone: 225-273-6441
Fax: 225-273-4443
11614 Richcroft Ave.
Baton Rouge, LA 70814

Here's their website: https://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1144&pid=5

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Just read an article in "Auto Restorer" magazine (December 2004) on this very subject. The name of the article is "Coating and Sound Control." The product their advising on is called "Total Coat" and can be purchased from Eastwood, for one, other sources are available. Comes with it's own gun for application. They suggest buying all 3 (Total coat, sound control, and sound control premium) and applying in various places where protection is needed. The product can be painted over body color and still offers good rust protection as well as sound protection. It's hard enough to be used in wheel wells. Not sure about chipping though. Strange we're talking about this when, the cars left the factory with only paint in the wheel wells and minimally elsewhere.
Most Healey's I've seen will probably out last the original 40 year old cars. Which overstates the realization that we are merely caretakers of these classics.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

dklawson

Yoda
That Fusor coating looks great. I'll keep it in mind for my next restoration. Thanks!