• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel spacers

PeterK

Yoda
Where can I find direct-fit wheel spacers for a TR4-6. All I seem to find is the universal type with slotted holes and my KN wheels are lug-centric not hub-centeric so a universal spacer doesn't center on the lugs without a lot of slop? I thought of buying a chunk of aluminum and having it milled but would be easier to find them pre-made. Bolt circle is 4 x 4.5 (114.3). I need 5/16(8mm) and 1/8(3mm) thickness. Any help? Thanks. PeterK

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Peter,

Your best bet for spacers specifically made to fit TRs is the major British vendors. Check with www.revingtontr.com, www.cambridgemotorsport.com and https://www.racetorations.co.uk/

I know Neil Revington makes spaces specifically to allow centerlock wheels to be mounted without cutting shortening the standard lug nuts, to make it easier to swap back to bolt-on wheels. But, I seem to recall theses are 11mm thick.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Peter--Several spacers have popped up on ebaY the last few weeks; check there.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
What I'm looking for is a 6" diameter washer with holes drilled specifically for a 4 x 4.5" bolt circle, no slots or universal fit (like ebay or Moss have) and not for a splined hub conversion, just to space my KN Minilites away from the suspension. Somebody has to have them.
If anyone has the KN Minilites, have you have fitment problems? My front wheels hit the top a-arms and the rear tire rubs on the leaf spring (barely). Backspacing is 4", wheels are 15 x 5.5.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Peter,

I have 6" wide Panasports on my TR4 that run pretty close to the upper A-arms when the steering is turned to full lock. It's only about 1/4 or 3/8" from the wheel rim.

This is due in part to the wider wheels and also by installing a custom top bracket that dials in some negative camber (which I got from Revington TR).

I had even less clearance before I used a grinder to reshape the upper end of the front A-arms, so that it tapers more gradually to a point. This is a common modification when running wider wheels.

The other modification I made was using a half-height Nylock nut at the point. It wasn't rubbing, but was pretty close.

Now there seems to be enough clearance, however if I need to, I can always put a larger diameter steering stop to keep the wheels further from the A-arm, although that will reduce the turning radius slightly.

I haven't installed the rear end yet or had the car on the road. Spacers might be the only possible solution for the rub on the leaf spring and you might be best ordering them from England. I've bought from Revington and Cambridge, and will again.

After fitting the spacers, you may want to check for rub on the inside of the fenders.

Let us know how it works out.

Alan

mightymg

I know there is a set of spacers on Ebay right now with 4 days left on it. Check it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Alan,
Thanks for the tips. I already cut the point off the front upper a-arms and am using a 1/8"(3mm) spacer for clearance. I used double sided photo mounting tape to center the spacers to the hub while I installed the wheels. I checked Revington, Cambridge, and Racestorations and they all carry universal (i.e 95-114.5 multifit) spacers, same as Moss and common on ebay, and same as I already have. I think that I'll have to make a set myself with the proper 7/6" hole 4.5" bolt circle. The trouble with universals is that your wheels won't balance if the spacer is not held concentric to the hub. Thanks!

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
OK, but understand that by moving the wheels out, you're changing the weight of the car more onto the smaller, outer wheel bearings, and this will, in time, have an impact.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Paul,
I need to move the wheels out 5/16" - on a disc wheel car the track is already 1/2" narrower on each side (because of the hub convertors on a wire wheel car) so I am effectively moving the wheels inwards 3/16" each from a wire wheel car which shares the same bearings. We're not talking rice racerboy with dinky tires sticking out a foot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Peter - you're correct. My thought was to point out consequences to anyone who might not realize. No attack intended.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
None taken. You're right Paul. BTW, to resolve my centering issue I ordered longer shank lug nuts that will inset into the larger holes of the wheel spacers I already have. The .679" diameter shank is still a bit smaller than the hole in the spacer but much larger than the 7/16" stud to keep the spacer from slippng sideways and just .20 longer so my .3125 (5/16") thick spacers will prevent them from bottoming (and as an added benefit, I get more usuable lug threads. Confusing to write but simple in hand. Thanks to everyone. Peter