• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A What's a Supposedly Concours Condition TR4A Worth?

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This car doesn't have O/D which I find to be indispensable on my TR3A and my Austin Healey BJ7, but other than that it looks like it was thoroughly gone over nicely and looks to be an excellent show/driver. Hagerty estimates the value on a car like this to be from the high 30s to the low 50s, though I don't know anyone willing to pay anywhere near $50K for a TR4, but maybe I'm uninformed. Opinions, please.
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Con...=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_6349wt_1150

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
What's it worth? Whatever anyone's willing to pay!

Remember the TR4 that sold at Barrett-Jackson some years back? Went for $92k, as I recall.

Jar-jar Binks' statement comes to mind: "Dissee nutsen!"

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I've not seen an of Cascadia's cars in person, but I think they present their cars better than anyone on Ebay - great photos.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I think Hagertys values are as good as they come. There is some science to it. The P-car guys would argue they are on the low side. All in all I think they are right on. The bigger question is most people misunderstand the 4 condition levels and the misuse constantly by sellers of the word "concurs".

Take a Level one car for example. Some pretty strong claims. The Hagerty description is as follows: "
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best car, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the car has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 cars is "concours."

Based on the Ebay photos I would say you are looking at a car between a 1 ($54k) and a 2 ($38k), probably closer to a 1 than the 2. Not likely it will sell on ebay. Seller is likely using eBay as a cheap way to get the word out. My guess is the transaction will probably happen off eBay.

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/About-our-prices

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
I try to follow top condition TR4A's and this car does appear to be a beauty. It is unfortunately not completely correct. I am not a VTR judge but the 1st thing I noticed were the seats, then the top frame color and then the visor color and then I still drooled because it looks so darn good.

According to Bill Piggott' Original Triumph Restorer's Guide the TR4A seats have pleating in the center section with a padded rolled edge. The seats in this car look like 250 seats. Pretty sure the frame is a cream color and pretty sure the visors are white. Based on these visuals can this car be a #1 and can it be a concours candidate if it is not how it left the factory?

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
:iagree:
About a year ago an original 5,000 mile 4A went for about $30,000. It was better than you could ever hope to find. I would much rather have that car than any restoration, it had personality. This car has bling.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
About a year ago an original 5,000 mile 4A went for about $30,000. It was better than you could ever hope to find. I would much rather have that car than any restoration, it had personality. This car has bling.
:iagree:...especially if "bling" is an autobody industry term meaning "the trunk lid really doesn't fit that well, but we hope no one will notice that"! :D

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
:D. I put bling one step better than gimcrack as adjectives describing taste.

Country flag
Nice car, a few things not correct. The dash turns me off quicker than anything. Looks like a pine board cut out. I have a 67 TR4A I bought two months ago. PO disassembled the car. Tub is best I've ever seen or had. Original green paint, floors and rockers perfect, not rust. Fenders off and primed, no rust on any of them either. It will be an easy build. By the numbers quoted here, I should have a $25k + car when completed.

Marv

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I try to follow top condition TR4A's and this car does appear to be a beauty. It is unfortunately not completely correct. I am not a VTR judge but the 1st thing I noticed were the seats, then the top frame color and then the visor color and then I still drooled because it looks so darn good.

According to Bill Piggott' Original Triumph Restorer's Guide the TR4A seats have pleating in the center section with a padded rolled edge. The seats in this car look like 250 seats. Pretty sure the frame is a cream color and pretty sure the visors are white. Based on these visuals can this car be a #1 and can it be a concours candidate if it is not how it left the factory?

You are right as to the seats, frame and visors. The visors should also not have a mirror or smooth vinyl, but I don't think TR4A visors are available so those appear to be TR6 visors. I painted my original frame black as well but later acquired an NOS one which is cream (and my second TR4A's is cream).

But it is a pretty car. I'll have to agree that I'm not a big fan of the dash though.

Scott

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm not interested in it as a concours candidate but more of a show/driver. My only hangup is the lack of O/D. I have O/D on my TR3A and my BJ7 Healey and think it's indispensable. If it weren't for that I might bid up to $40K for this car and keep it in Vermont for summer and fall driving rather than have to go to the expense of shipping my Healey up and back to Miami where I spend the rest of the year. The only reason I selected this particular car is because it has a usable top and rollup windows, same as my Healey but lacking in my TR3. When the weather gets blustery, the TR3 was useless up here so it's staying in FL. I'd rather have another big Healey up here in VT but one in the same condition as this TR4 would be like my '63 Healey and that'll run me $75K+, more than I want to spend on a car that'll get only 3 months use per year. Too bad this car doesn't have O/D because I can't see paying $40K and then have to drop another $3350 into swapping transmissions.
Probably a moot point because I think these folks are looking for a lot more than $40K.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
If this goes for anywhere near $40K, I'll have to seriously consider selling my TR4A! I love it, but just don't get to drive it very much, especially since getting the TR8. Mine looks to be almost as clean as that one, though I do have a supercharger. But I do have the correct seats and right side horn. No O/D, though.

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Will be interesting to see what it does sell for. I still want a Healey but not ready to sell my MGA or TR4A unless the price is "crazy" good.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Auction prices usually include buyer's and seller's fees and sometimes shipping which over inflates prices, because of the unseen and usually not revealed costs.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Whoever buys it should immediately re-orient that gas cap -- it's pointed straight back. I know from experience what will happen if the boot lid is lifted a bit too far.

For dealer/consigner cars in this price range I don't bother with the auction, better to just talk to the dealer direct and see what they will take. If you agree on a price you can still buy with the protection of ebay by having the seller post a buy-it-now price at an agreed-to time.

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Wow I missed that and I usually see that right off the bat. I have never restored a car...just been the caretaker......but always wonder why someone would go to all the trouble to do a beautiful job on a resto and not fine tune the details.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If this goes for anywhere near $40K, I'll have to seriously consider selling my TR4A! I love it, but just don't get to drive it very much, especially since getting the TR8. Mine looks to be almost as clean as that one, though I do have a supercharger. But I do have the correct seats and right side horn. No O/D, though.
I had been pondering getting my TR3 supercharged (and also thought I'd do the same if I were to buy this TR4 being offered on eBay), so what I'd like to know is just how much of an improvement it is over leaving the car stock. Please describe how you like your supercharger and how much faster your car goes with it, how much smoother, etc. Thaks.